The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I had forgotten (not unusual), but someone reminded me that Fulmer had the deal with Hamilton, if Fulmer won 8 games he would get an extension.

I suspect that is what Fulmer did with Pruitt. Pruitt went 8-5 in 2019.

I am a big proponent of pay for performance versus these obscene guaranteed salaries and golden parachutes if you fail.

Give them a Base guaranteed commensurate with other State executives and make them win games, divisions, conferences, Bowls and National Championships to earn the Saban-like pay.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He’d never sign anything like what we’d want, which would be fine too

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The current system is primarily only working for guys like Sexton and his clients. The number of Sabans, Dabos, Urbans, etc is very limited. There are always excuses not to change.

It is not like the current system has worked for us the last 15+ years or for very many other schools. What have we got to lose by changing the hiring/firing/payment rules?

You win big, you make big Saban-like money. You lose, you make less. You suck at your job? We'll fire your azz and give a severance pkg, but not to the level that rewards your failure.

It only takes one big program to balance the leverage. Right now guys like Sexton have all the leverage cause he knows you are scared.

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

agreed. if they were all Saban, it would be fine. they aren't.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The fact that Sexton represents what seems like most everyone you’d want is a problem with this strategery

justingroves likes this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no reason you can't give an extension and keep the buyout the same, but no one ever does this.

warhammer likes this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Cause he has convinced errbody that only HE has what you want. And ALL the schools are afraid to do try something different.

Sexton's clients get the final say in whether or not they will accept a contract. If Freeze (or any horse in the Sexton stable) believe they are THE GUY, then present them with a contract that pays them BIG money if they win. Challenge them to prove they are the guy they think they are. If not, move on.

It only takes one school to start shifting the negotiation terms.

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Illinois did! Nobody else, apparently

droski likes this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I just think, the business model for hiring THE GUY is broke and leveraged against the schools. It will stay broke as long as you let the other party dictate terms. You change the leverage. The risk will continue to be high until you change it or get lucky.

Memtownvol and JohnnyQuickkick like this.
  10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

[uck fay] Sexton. He ain't the boss, you let him be.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You'd think he'd throw his alma mater a bone every now and then at least.

Memtownvol and Poppa T like this.
  12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Maybe he gives his UT clients a point or two off on their fee? Not.

Probably just sends them an e-card on their birthday with a "Go Vols" in the signature line.

I think there has to be some sort of conflict of interest issue, if your agent is the agent of a potential hire. I'm sure everything is totally above board. Aight?

13. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

There's some scuttlebutt out there that Freeze is really throwing everything at UT to try to get this job to the point that he's apparently offering Tennessee basically the same deal he has at Liberty. Around 2 million per year plus heavy incentives for winning. If that's true and that story starts circulating in the right circles it would be hard for UT to justify not hiring him. He is banking on him coming out strong and winning to get a better contract in a couple of years is the apparent thought. And it's honestly a hell of a strategy. He would really look like the hero in the whole scenario.

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Probably nothing to it but if I were Fulmer and the rumor is true, CJP would be termed and HF hired within the hour. Freeze would coach our next game.

15. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Keep the Grumors coming. This is the content I pay to see.

16. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I can't see Fulmer hiring Freeze given his history here.

For that matter, I also can't see Fulmer firing Pruitt anytime soon unless things gets drastically worse. I feel like some forget that he wasn't exactly the most trigger happy person with firing people on his staff when he was the head coach here.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This was always my biggest worry with him as AD. I'm willing to rock along and hope a chance at being interim makes him more trigger happy.

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

FWIW, Basilio claims that Fulmer will not be involved in the next firing and hiring process.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Then that means Pruitt gets 3 more years

zehr27 likes this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Exactly my thought.