The Ceiling of this Basketball team.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by MaconVol, Jan 15, 2012.

1. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Are you guys recruiting Markel Crawford out of Memphis Melrose? I think he is a true 2 guard. Iknow he has offers from some SEC schools (Auburn, Florida)

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Think we can steal an Aussie point guard from Randy Bennett?

And I totally agree with your point. If Sam Winterbotham can go to Europe -- out of necessity after both Williams and Sandgren went pro -- and pick up two studs in like two weeks, then why can't Cuonzo Martin? Hell, they could travel together.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Nor do we have a system (a la Georgetown or the Triangle Offense) that de-emphasizes the importance of the point guard. Nor would I even want such a system. My initial point #1 was basically academic. We need a good point guard.

4. strippersblow

strippersblow New Member

Next year, we'll run the offense through Stokes, so the need for a viable PG should be postponed to the Class of 2013, imo. Stokes will be ready.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly how would that work? Pretty sure getting the ball into the post initially would be a prerequisite to the ability to "run the offense through Stokes."

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Our effort to feed the post is some of the dumbest looking crap ever. It's almost like we believe the elbow is the best place to feed the block. Tatum has no remote idea how to do it and McRae doesn't even try. With Stokes down there to absorb defenders, feeding Maymon makes sense. Feeding either makes sense, but we have no idea how. Some of that is because we have to push our wings up to help our atrocious PG play, but some is just idiocy.

7. hatvol96

This team's passing has been an absolute calamity for the last two seasons.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It is somewhat like saying that we don't need a quarterback because we've got a good receiver.

Doesn't really work that way.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You clearly didn't watch Tennessee play Kentucky in football this year.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Touche, Jo.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Sadly, I did.

I'm not sure it detracts from the comparison, though.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Final regular season record: 16-15. That's my prediction.

13. hatvol96

I hope you're right. Getting to the NIT would be a nice accomplishment for this group.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm thinking 15-16 or 14-17 is more likely. I think this team is far more likely. To finish over .500, this team needs to get some road issues figured out quickly or take care of business in the reset of the games at home.