The Cincinnati Reds

Discussion in 'Sports' started by emainvol, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Harold Reynolds: we're getting spoiled watching all these young players. Jackie Robinson was 28 when he won rookie of the year. Guys used to be just getting started at 28!

Uh Harold there were probably other reasons JR didn't get started until 28 but I wasn't there so I can't be sure

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Satchel Paige spent 30 years in the minors before he got a shot. That's just how stacked the pitching was back then.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Whaaaaat? I..I..what?

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We should have been swept.

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So long Johnny, and thank you. Glad you are going to a team I can root for.

The rumored return right now doesn't include a bat, but if its Manaea, Finnegan and Lamb I would imagine that Chapman and Leake will follow soon and Byrd is gone by the end of the week. Our system is about to look real good once that Chapman return hits.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good start. Now deal Chapman, Leake, Byrd, and Bruce.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You want to deal Aroldis?

8. hatvol96

Absolutely. What value does a closer have to a 75 win quality team?

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Could always blow his arm out converting him to a starter.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I tried explaining that to some of my Barves fan friends when Kimbrel got traded

11. hatvol96

Okay. Let him do it one someone else's dime.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

#sarcasm

Easy there grizzly bear!

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You find a team that needs a closer and a bat and you can get a king's ransom for Chapman and Bruce

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Leake to the Giants for what is maybe their best prospect. Still haven't gotten a hitter.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Jesus, I had to make that argument with 50 fellow Braves fans back in April.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh man, it was awful. And don't even try to tell most Braves fans that Kimbrel was getting close to the end of the normal shelf life for a closer. He was going to be the best there ever was for at least the next 10 years

Except he isn't even the best closer in baseball this year.

While I am on that topic, why do 90% of Braves fans think that every half decent prospect in the org is the next best X in the majors? Heyward was gonna be Willie Mays all over again, Andrelton Simmons was obviously the next Barry Larkin, Mike Minor and Brandon Beachy were totally going to be the next Glavine and Smoltz. I mean, jesus christ.

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I remember arguing with one that Dan Uggla was just not a good baseball player. "But did you see that home run he hit?" Yeah, I did, and did you see the 17 times he struck out the rest of the series and the 14 routine grounders he punted the **** out of at first? People wonder why I hate that damn team.

Sorry Huffman, </rant>

18. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Braves fans didn't rank Heyward the #1 overall prospect in baseball. And Simmons is the best defensive player in baseball.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Heyward might have been the best prospect, he was never going to be as good as the fans made him out to be. Mother****ers I knew were convinced he would be MVP in his second year. And Simmons may be one of the top defensive players in baseball, but thats all he is.

20. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

You should probably hang out with smarter people then. And being good defensively is kind of a big part of being a shortstop.