The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Tyler Childers...I'm a sucker for good country/blue grass fiddle and lyrics about cocaine.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yep

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Seen him three times. Do it.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Robert Earl retiring from performing live in September, says he wants to quit the road while he still loves the grind, can't argue with that.

I'll have to get another show or two in.

justingroves likes this.
  5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Corpus Christi Bay is still one of my favorites

Joseph Brant likes this.
  6. Joseph Brant

Civic Auditorium is a shit venue for a place designed for live music, but Jinks freaking hammered it.

That said, it would take the Turnpike Troubadours for me to go to another show there. Sound booth is stage left rather than in the back so its a ton of reverb and poor quality.

As someone who tries to catch 40 touring shows a year (we're double income, grown kids so its a good hobby) please keep this is mind :

Nobody is going to watch the 75 minute shaky video you took of a concert, but should you absolutely need to make one, please turn your screen brightness all the way down. And the flash is useless 200' away.

justingroves likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

I saw Childers & Sturgill in there and it was terrible. Childers wasn’t too bad but the sound was so bad for Sturgill we left. Idk why they book concerts in that crap hole

Joseph Brant likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I was there last night. Great show.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  9. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Anybody seen Bob Dylan recently and have a take on if he's still worth going to see? Regardless of the type of performance he's putting on these days, there's a long list of absolute legends I had chances to see before they passed and didn't do it. I know I'll regret it if I let that list get any bigger because it doesn't feel like there will ever be more like them (John Prine, BB King, Ralph Stanley just off the top of my head where I decided I was too busy or didn't want to pay for the ticket day of).

10. Joseph Brant

The better half sent me a thing that said "Ragweed crawled so Turnpike could fly".

100% accurate. The "napster generation" that found good music rather than eating what was in the bowl.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  11. Joseph Brant

American Aquarium in Asheville Thursday, end Flatland is there Friday. Boss lady said I should stay and go too the fly fishing museum and hunt Civil War graves.

Basically I get to do all the things she tolerates me freaking out over for a few days.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I love AA. Still haven’t made it to one of their shows but I need to.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

So which AA album should I start with

14. Joseph Brant

Burn. Flicker. Die.

Then Lamentations. Then all the rest.

15. Joseph Brant

They're an amazing live act, BJ never has an off night

16. JohnnyQuickkick

Kind of a less-depressing Drive-By Truckers

17. Joseph Brant

Perhaps. The post sobriety albums are a bit more ....not sure introspective is the word. The solo album Rockingham is just great, sad yet hopeful

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I mainly meant the sound. The guy’s voice is reminiscent of Cooley I think at times

Joseph Brant likes this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

20. Joseph Brant

Corb is amazing