The current bowl selection process is unjust

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Dec 7, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying they'd want to change at least one of those. Either play somewhere else (Dallas) or play a P5.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I believe Nebraska had the Highest APR of the 5-7 teams which is what let them in. But yeah too many bowl games.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

What 6 win team is staying at home this year?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, I thought they could only take 5-7 team if and only if there were not enough qualifying teams. I am sure there are some 6 win teams that had too many FCS schools, perhaps?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, but they were selected for a bowl before\over Colorado State (7 wins) and Nevada (6). That's not right.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Correct, but the pool of teams was decided before selection, so the 5-7 teams like Nebraska were chosen over a 7 win Colorado State, for example.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I was under the impression all 7 wins had to be taken before 6 wins, same thing for 5s.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There's only about a dozen worth watching.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that's only with bowls when a conference they have an agreement with can't supply an eligible team. Bowls without a conference tie-in have no restriction, which is what should be changed.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or maybe that is true, but the way things worked out it forced the Las Vegas Bowl to select two teams from the same conference? Just read all the rules, is why I say that now.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That seems like a pretty weak complaint.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's Utah/BYU in the LV Bowl.

The Arizona Bowl is what you are talking about.

It's all about fanbase when you get to at large spots.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd prefer to see FCS playoff teams fill out bowl slots than 5-7 teams.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or if there aren't enough bowl teams, there are less bowls.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm for more bowls. I like football. If I don't like the teams in them, I don't watch. The market will eventually correct itself. Even BP money runs out eventually.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many bowls have come and gone now? How many actually make money? We're living what "market correction" looks like. Much like evolution, there is no finished product but rather an unpleasant, merciless, godless parade of mostly failure.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Lol at the BP part. Heck, Birmingham would probably resort to taking out of the city school's budget if they had to.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Wikipedia has a list of over 60 going back many years.

The number of bowl games seems like a problem that has little or no need of being solved.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

They'd just borrow more money.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Truth. For me it's Motel 6. I mean, c'mon hahaha