The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Interesting story on the history of police and blacks, defunding, etc....

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

teddy roosevelt is the next to be erased now

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

IMO I bet they just put a new statue of him there.

4. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I say just make all the new statues way bigger then you don’t have worry about people taking them down.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The Roosevelt statue is actually not about him, but the depictions of the black and Indian guys below him. Teddy's great grandson even approves of changing the statue and it will probably end up just being Teddy himself.

IP likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Remember when he was mocked for this....

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No.

IP likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's like the Lincoln statue with the black guy kneeling or cleaning his shoes or whatever, it just doesn't age well.

When I first heard about it, I was like what the [uck fay] is wrong with them, but then I saw it and was like, yeah, that's kind of shitty

9. CardinalVol

Probably would have been better if they had developed Stage 2 of the plan to announce when they took it down IMO. Much like Groves, my initial reaction was WTF, then saw the statue and thought, yeah, that's probably a good move.

Volst53 likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nationally, we could be a little more chill about statues. We can easily put them away or move them, change them, whatever. Folks act like they're digging up their grand dad sometimes.

11. CardinalVol

We could, but communication would help that IMO.

justingroves likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We need a King Johnny statue

warhammer likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet he gave more black men scholarships in his first couple years at Pitt than any coach in a similar span ever has or will. So many scholarships.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The bar gets higher and higher. I guess we should just outlaw statues in general?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe that is what the Old Testament and the Koran recommends. If you are going to assume a statue means they're great, and being "great" means they can't have done horrible things, and thus propagating a false history that leads to continuing the marginalization of groups through ignoring the truth... Ya. Then maybe we shouldn't have statues of people.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The limit was 75 or so a year

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think anyone was using them all every year but him, and that was why it was lowered. He was getting as many good athletes on campus as he could find.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why? Private owners can do whatever they want, and have whatever statues they want.

Government should probably recycle them fairly often. What's the point of having a modern system of government where we're constantly reminded of the past?

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Understandable. When everything he does is mocked and complained about it is hard to remember everything.

20. CardinalVol

At some point in this we are going to have to address inner-city violence as well. We can talk equal and equitable all we want, but we are failing unless we address all of this.