The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s literally in the definition. I gave you multiple examples. You provided one yourself.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This part is worth diving into and probably better evidence of the raid being a “failure” than anything else presented in this thread up to this point. They had some seriously flawed/dated information about Taylor and the house.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You’re rationalizing it as if this dude is some wacko. He’s not. He’s a young, educated, African American man who cares deeply about BLM and everything going on right now. He graduated from the same college as me.

This dude isn’t a wacko. IP isn’t a wacko (most days). So why are both of them saying that Breonna Taylor was shot in her sleep? Why are they convinced of false information 6 months after an event occurred? Did they just fail to do their due diligence? Or is the truth increasingly harder to find through all the bull shit? And if so, why?

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Probably because first impressions last the longest, and search engines work by ranking items with most link backs.

All of that contributes to the earliest reported items sticking the longest, and developing stories never have all the facts early, not from bad reporting, just because the entirety of the story hasn't yet been pieced together.

So, that's why.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There's a large difference between "not having all the facts" and "having fake facts."

6. fl0at_

No, those are often the same thing early. Which is why in active shooters, there always seems to be multiple shooters, and then it turns out to just be one. It wasn't fake, it was what was believed to be true at the time, based on witness accounts and/or timelines of events.

The problem is that "fake" has somehow (*pretty obvious how) become synonymous with "incorrect," and that is not the same. It is unlikely the initial reports were made up (fake), it is more likely that whomever was talking to the reporter was just incorrect.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

What was she doing and where was she when they burst in?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

She was not in her bed, nor was she asleep when the police burst through the door, per the boyfriend's account of the event.

Are you still under the impression that she was?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I am under the impression that both of them were asleep in bed when the police began breaking in. this assumption is based on the lawsuit the family filed, that the city just settled with for millions:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ter-kentucky-police-entered-her-home-n1205651

you're running down a pedantic and dismissive narrative to make this seem a lot more gray than it is. Quit telling me about the boyfriend's testimony, he says they were asleep in bed when this began.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You are under the wrong impression. They were not asleep when the officers "began breaking in." They were awoken by the police knocking on the door. I don't know how many times I have to prove to you that you are under the wrong impression before you can no longer claim to be under the wrong impression and are just lying.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/bre...or and her boyfriend,loud banging at the door.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news...view/417-06549281-7240-4ecb-875a-07c726841fea

She was not asleep when they broke through the door. She was not in her bed when they broke through the door. She was not asleep when they shot her. She was not in her bed when they shot her.

I'm not running down any dismissive narrative, nor am I making anything seem more gray than it is. I'm talking about the concrete facts, and you're spewing false/incorrect information.

The case is bad enough as is. You don't need to make stuff up about her being shot in her bed while she was asleep, and the fact that you haven't just admitted you were wrong when claiming that she was asleep is incredible to me.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So, when this began they were asleep in bed, per your article. Why else do you think they "got up?"

IP likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I feel like this has been broken down at least 5 times in this thread alone.

Police f'd up, bad. Murder? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Stiff consequences? Absolutely.

justingroves likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You guys are insufferable

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The raid led to the death of an innocent bystander, a cop shot and absolutely nothing on the person they were trying to arrest. The raid couldn't have gone worse, outside of the cops dying too.

Now, the cops getting justifiably shot at justifiably returning fire aren't even in the top 3 of [uck fay] ups in this situation.

Whoever headed up the investigation should be fired. Whoever okayed kicking in her door on outdated information should be fired. The actual cops at the house, they should be investigated and if they screwed up, punished. If they're following orders to a T, get the ones giving the orders.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. fl0at_

Yea, the problem is we aren't getting the stiff consequences, and won't until qualified immunity, and pretty much unrestricted claims of self defense, and all that shit goes out the window.

Hell, an off duty secret service agent shot a dog on leash in New York a few months back, and even the agency kept changing its story.

It became an "unrestrained" dog. What the [uck fay] is an unrestrained, on leash dog?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They were asleep in bed when the officers began knocking on the door. The knocking on the door is what woke them up. Are you going to try to claim that knocking on the door is part of the process of breaking in? If so, just don't, because that's a ridiculous thing to say.

They got up, got dressed, and yelled "Who's there/Who is it?" multiple times. All of this happened before the police broke through the door and before a shot was fired. The "breaking in" began when the police moved on the door with the battering ram.

Yet, for whatever reason, people continue to say she was shot while she was asleep in her bed. It is literally factually incorrect, but people are still saying in 6 months after the entire thing went down.

It's similar to "30 or more shots were fired" or "shot in the back 7 times" or "he was just a good samaritan breaking up a domestic dispute, and the cops gunned him down while he was walking away." Why can't we just say what actually happened? It's been 6 months.

17. fl0at_

How many shots were actually fired?

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The cop who fired the 10 shots into the building randomly was already terminated. There other two have not been, as far as I know, and I'm not sure about anyone further up the ladder.

I'm not sure Taylor classifies as an "innocent bystander," as the warrant had both her name and her home address on it, which was where they were.

I'd like to learn more about their justification for the raid in the first place. I know they had suspected she was holding money for him and that she was receiving packages (allegedly with drugs) for him. The evidence sounded pretty solid, but very outdated. There were also a lot of smaller but unacceptable [uck fay] ups as well, from what I read/heard. They didn't have good notes that show her and Glover having been broken up for multiple months, if I remember correctly. I also believe that their information suggested she lived alone, when in reality she had two other people living with her (neither was there the night of the raid).

There's definitely a lot that can be said about the quality of the investigation.

19. fl0at_

This is a lot like guilty until proven innocent.

emainvol likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It doesn't matter, I've been told (I'm kidding. It matters).

I haven't been able to find a concrete exact total. Everything I've read says 10 shots fired by the cop who was terminated, and "20 or more" total. Only place I've seen 30 is in this thread and comments from the defense attorney.

There's also a lot of disconnect about how many times she was shot. Tons of sites/articles say 8 times, but I read somewhere that the official autopsy report or whatever says she was shot 5 times. It's weird to me that something so concrete like that can be so convoluted.