The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Uhhhh Whoopi... it actually happens more often than you might imagine, albeit less often proportionally than black people. But still, plenty of recent video evidence out there of white people who were either executed by police or savagely beaten to a pulp. Problem is instances of white victims to police brutality will never get the same level of fixation and outrage by media organizations like the one who employs Whoopi. Redding, GA just this last week.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

50k will be pulled over today. How many not so bad guys will be killed? Yeah one is too many, I know. Tyre looks from outside like a good guy.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

My particular friend was always wicked smart in school growing up and tested well. He was fast tracked to the detective wing of NPD where frankly he belongs a few months or so after getting his cop badge. I have no doubt he aced whatever intelligence test they gave him. Maybe when he tested really high they were like "this guy needs to be a detective not a cop".

But yea that was a new one to me tbh. I can see how that could explain some of the issues facing cops today. That makes more logical sense for military purposes. But for policing that is just really dumb imo, especially given society's current high demand and low supply of quality police candidates available out there. If I was ever put in charge of a police department I'm throwing that policy into the trash bin day 1 on the job.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Had my car egged in a random act. My neighbor witnessed it and witnessed two others get egged who parked close enough to the street to make it easy. My neighbor, being the busybody he was, called the cops before even coming into my back yard and telling me. Cop came out, and after 20 minutes of back and forth about who I made mad and whether it even happened with my neighbor getting mad at being called a liar and us pointing out the other cars that still had egg on them, he finally scribbled some notes down, had us sign something, and basically told us s*** happens.

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I have. Primarily to make the insurance (both homeowners and car) claim process go smoother. If you have Police report # (especially if you take the time and include a list of stolen stuff in report, the insurance claim process is a snap.

There was one time when daughter was in HS, had her car window smashed in (theft). She made them take prints. They said they would, but with obiglatory, "Prolly won't catch them." They did. It was minors. So they did not do jack to them.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Do you want to break up domestic disputes for a living? That is what they do a lot of and it's no fun. My brother in law is a sheriff and I don't think he would say he fears for his life everyday but a lot of his job is dealing with intense situation where people are hard to deal with.

ole_orange and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yes. Don't park your car in lots where there are no cameras around. When my car got busted into and contents stolen from it in a cameraless parking lot a couple years ago the officer even told me as they were filling out the report for me that odds are slim anything happens since there was no camera footage they could use to help identify the perps. All the officer was really able to do was collect finger print samples on my door handles in order to see if anything came up in their database that might lead them to the suspect. Nothing ever happened.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yea it's got to be mentally taxing even if you are in a precinct that isn't exactly East St. Louis. And at the end of each stressful and intense encounter, you are rewarded with paperwork you must fill out and a date in court months later. It's a really hard job.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And going in and finding any kind of child abuse would just be the end of me. I could never do it.

Same with EMT work. Thank god for those that can do it.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The worst thing ever imo is having to be the state trooper who has to knock on a door somewhere informing a family that their child or spouse was killed in a car crash. AVG of 100 deaths a day in the US on roads. Those things would destroy me internally.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe that, writing traffic tickets, and stopping violent criminals shouldn't all be the same job.

SetVol13, Daddy Gee, Ssmiff and 2 others like this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

You would still probably need those writing tickets to have a gun just because you have no idea who you may end up pulling over. But I understand the sentiment behind exploring splitting up differing components of policing. Cops have a ton on their plates.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We have to get police officers when we work in the road in metro Nashville. Those guys are having fun and according to them making more doing that for a few hours than their regular work

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

In a lot of areas that's the Sheriff's job. Basically the worst thing I could imagine having to do.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That might be worth exploring

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Don't know how anyone is even capable of ever doing that. Those memories would haunt me until my death.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Purely anecdotal.

The LEO folks that I know are disgusted/embarassed by all the beatings/deaths.

The job is stressful. The reason why they joined is varied (to serve, best option for their situation, legacy, etc.)

Do they try and rationalize and justify? Sure. But half heartedly. They will admit, it just ain't right and some of these guys have no business being in the business. It pizzes them off that the "bosses" hire some that they do.

They would rather have their dept budgets go for better pay for the rank-and-file than the "donated" military equip. and "stuff"; not to have to work 60-70 hours just to make ends meet; quota for tickets, (one guy told me having your performance/promotion based on ticket/arrest quota was like having private, for-profit prisons); and hire better people.

They just want it fixed.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Demilitarization of the police is paramount.

SetVol13 and warhammer like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

All I’ve learned from the last page is War called the cops when he got egged.

IP likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Big Egg Control lobby has taken away our ability to egg our neighbors. Made it unaffordable.

SetVol13, Ssmiff and CardinalVol like this.