The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, what were the circumstances?

I imagine I'd have one of those jolts of adrenaline where time slows down so that it feels like I'm painfully taking too long to react to anything. My instinct would be to do nothing, since they already have me dead to rights. But the line is fine between that and grabbing the barrel of a rifle/shotgun if it is right there in reach.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yes plenty of what ifs. Looks like he jogs from left side of road to right side then takes on one gunman after he passes the truck and cuts in front of it. Im merely posing the question as to what may have happened if he kept jogging, and wonder what the previous minutes detailed and more about the 2nd car following.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've rolled that around in my head for a few days. I run a good bit. How would I react if it happened to me? I've had knives pulled on me a couple of times and a gun once. I bluffed my way through the gun incident by threatening the guy with a shootout after slowly retreating behind the door to my pickup and sticking my hand behind my seat. Looking back, that was kind of stupid, but I was young and dumb (and not a cattle thief, long story). I had a gun there. It wasn't loaded, so stupid two ways. If I was out for a run like I'll probably be in a few minutes here, what would I do if something like that happened? I've been stopped and pulled over before by a random nobody wanting to know my business somewhere. They never truly threatened violence beyond tone of voice or showed a weapon, so I usually answered just running and kept going. I had one guy yell after me, and we talked a bit. There was nothing threatening about it though. It's a tough situation for sure. I'm not going to start carrying a gun. That much I know. If I can't talk my way out of it, I guess it was just my time.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Rolling a yard in high school owner ran out with a shotgun on us.

I driving on a logging road near a farm with a girl in high school and apparently it was private property and he stuck a pistol in my face while we were parked.

I was ginsenging and walked into a pot patch around harvest time. That’s the only time I’ve ever been shot at

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It seems to me, at least, that this was nothing more than an ambush.

Had they been following him, and he stopped, turned around and started approaching the truck it might be a different story, but even then he would have to be holding a gun or there be a gun visible on his body for me to accept it was self defense.

That they thought he was a criminal, and decided to take matters into their own hands by waiting on him down the road, as opposed to following the procedure that, literally, everybody knows (i.e. calling the authorities) tell me they had no regard for his life and therefore should be held responsible for ending it.

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

One thing that I don't get is why was he running down the middle of the road, and I don't mean in a there was no sidewalk way.

If he's running after committing a crime, why not go where it's harder to follow? If he's just trying to get away from these guys, why not just get off the road for the same reason? I can see not getting shot in the back, but then you have to ask how he can be for sure the guy driving the car filming behind him isn't armed. There are a lot of what ifs and whys to be asked.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If this is what happened.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It looks to me like he was running down the left side of the road, and didn’t move to the middle, and then the right side of the truck until he was close to the guy holding the gun on left side of the road.

9. Tenacious D

In TN (no idea on GA laws), even pulling and brandishing your gun - not even pointing it at someone - is considered aggravated assault, and it’ll cost you your CCP.

justingroves likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Could be. My version is more that they weren't set on killing him, but the driver of the pickup bit off more than he could chew, got scared, and shot the guy. If he was just aiming to shoot, he could have pulled the trigger as he approached the truck. Basically, Billy Bad Ass was about to get it handed to him, and he panicked. At least one of them was itching to shoot. I can't tell if the first shot was fired from the guy in the bed or the guy on the ground.
    Could be either version of the story with what we really know. Based on their behavior, I don't believe they had noble intentions at the start. I could be wrong, but something else is going to have to come out for me to change my opinion on it.
    I'll say this too. If it were to somehow be proven that they were trying to bait him into a stand your ground situation, they deserve special unlawful type punishment.

IP likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

You can’t shoot someone to protect property in TN, unless they’re in your car / house.

If you stop someone at gunpoint on a public road, and when they’re not an imminent threat to you / others, that’s false imprisonment, at a minimum.

I think (but do not know) that this is just as IP described...a bunch of dudes looking to play badass vigilante, not only trying to find out what was going on (still wrong there, too), and panicked when the guy fought for control of the gun and merely intimidating him quickly turned to murder, as a result.

All I’m arguing is that I don’t know, and the danger of assuming. The DA is sending this to a grand jury, and that’s where it rightfully belongs.

2Maggitt2Quit, IP and warhammer like this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, I tried but wasn't clear enough. He is running where I would down that road, the left lane to start. I just meant why is he on the road at all? Cut through a yard or field is what I'm getting at.

13. Tenacious D

Keep your ass at home.

InVolNerable likes this.
  14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t run, but a I walk a lot, because I hate running. But people who walk/run generally run on the road, unless they’re in a park or somewhere with designated trails like Ijams or even Sequoia Hills.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many of you think you would run right at the guy holding the gun in that situation?

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nobody.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hard to say without knowing the full situation. It's possible but pretty doubtful.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he meant why would he be running along the road *if he were a thief*

The Dooz likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the barrel was almost in reach, some would. How many thieves would run right at a guy holding a gun in a situation like that?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

They teach that as an option in any active shooter situation. Definitely not "nobody" because that is one of the 3 options. Some do it.

SetVol13 likes this.