The Downtown Grill & Brewery Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 18, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. That's a really nice bounceback effort after Friday's debacle. Every facet of the game was improved today.
    2. Jarnell Stokes played to his huge capabilities today. He had an advantage and pressed it for the entirety of the game.
    3. Chaz Williams is fun to watch. He's occasionally out of control, but he's never boring.
    4. Josh Richardson was excellent. That might have been his best game as a Volunteer.
    5. Kenny Hall just can't seem to put any sort of consistent play together. His effort today was really lacking against a team he should have done some damage against.
    6. Jordan McRae made some utterly maddening decisions today. However, he was aggressive yet again and helped Tennessee immensely in the run that got UT some separation and put the game away.
    7. Quinton Chievous was productive today. I still have some reservations about his ability to compete at the 4 against teams that have some size.
    8. UMASS isn't terribly disciplined. If they are going to make the NCAA tournament, their shot selection has to get markedly better.
    9. Armani Moore had a much better effort. The team didn't collapse today when Trae Golden went out of the game and that's very encouraging.
    10. 2-1 on the Puerto Rico trip is acceptable. The Vols now need to take advantage of some time off to get some guys healthy and get some ballhandling and defensive issues cleaned up.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Noticed that Edwards didn't play any. Sitting until he shapes up on defense?

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think that's a safe assumption.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm also assuming Chievous' minutes at the 4 are greatly reduced if/when Maymon comes back.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thanks Hat. was glad to see the team not look so utterly lost without Golden out there. At the same time, Golden looked dominant at times when he was in.

If the team can improve this year as much as they did last year... Wow.

6. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Ok.St. is doing their best to make our loss to them look respectable.

7. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

didn't get to see the game.f....good read and thanks for the info hat!

8. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Ok State taking wolfpack to the woodshed. The plus 9.5 is looking sweet.

I really wonder about Kenny Hall possibly having a chemical imbalance. The kid gets banged inside and he loses his cool often.
    I like to see a physicality inside but he retaliates with stupid fouls or completely disappears.

9. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Thanks for the recap, Hat. This was an encouraging day IMO. UMASS will not be confused with Okie State, but they are reasonable competition early in the season. Much higher energy level and focus. The extra day helped.

You hit it on the head previously. Backup PG play is the issue to resolve. I see the rest of it blending together nicely over the course of the season once Maymon is back.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

OSU is blowing NC State out.

11. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Man that was an ass whipping to the first degree. Did you see that drive for a basket by Forte near the end? ESPN highlights for sure!

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ok St may be better than we thought.

13. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Yep...

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Richardson was the highlight to me. When he plays well and Hall brings it, we're good. When Golden struggles, and he always does in stretches, some longer than others, we can look downright awful. Stokes is in danger of getting to hack a Jarnell land.

Team is going to get better.

15. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

wow didn't see that coming from Okie State...

16. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Agree. Richardson is quick as a cat and plays above the rim. If they can ever get a real mid range jumper game out of him he will be tough by next season.

17. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

First game I've been able to watch this season. Stokes looked great. Can't wait for more from him and the rest.

18. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Honestly, I thought we'd lose to NC State in this tournament, if anyone. Losing to the team that beat down NC State doesn't seem so bad in hindsight.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This team still has a ways to go, but the pieces are there to be a pretty good team. Half court offense still has a ways to go.