The Final Frontier: All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not sure what this means, but it is a fact Roddenberry decided the future was a Utopia where every human was devoted to the betterment of society. There were no selfish people, no lazy people, no megalomaniacs or addicts. I’ve read multiple making of Star Trek books and it could be argued Star Trek succeeded in spite of Roddenberry. Basically every interesting plot he hated and the show thrived when he wasn’t actively involved. This is why the last seasons of tng and ds9 are the best.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They quit their job, so? What jobs do you think will be needed, that people wouldn't be doing?

You seem to labor under this idea that there will still need to be tons of things to do, and nobody to do them.

But in actuality, there won't be tons of things people need to do, so instead will do what makes them better at whatever it is they choose to do.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m not saying there will be a ton of things to do. I’m saying there will be a large percentage of society who will do nothing and accomplish nothing.

4. fl0at_

Doing the greater good, or having the desire to do the greater good, doesn't make one infallible.

Viewing being the best they can be, and having that as motivation, is also not being infallible.

5. fl0at_

Let's say that is true, so what? As long as they aren't a detriment, society will still advance, because the small percentage will still be advancing.

Which means that society is absolutely advancing based solely on people doing the greater good. Ergo, selected for.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m not saying that makes them infallible I’m saying he believed both that men would all be devoted to the greater good and be infallible. When does Kirk, Spock, or McCoy ever make a real mistake? Or do something selfish? They have to be taken over by drugs or otherwise altered.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don’t think Roddenberry’s view of the future is that 1/4 of the population gives a shit. Where are the lazy people in Star Trek?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

on Earth.

9. fl0at_

I don't believe that only 1/4 of the population would give a shit either, but it seems all we disagree on is the percentage, now.

They wouldn't be in the fleet, as it's a uniform service, and most people in a free society don't wear a uniform, in any time, including ours.

Uniformed services tend to select for a specific type of people, specifically, the type of person they want. Since Star Trek is focused on Star fleet, you see people who selected for Star fleet.

10. fl0at_

Yes, they are Star fleet officers.

When is the last time you ran into a fire, or toward a machine gun nest, or to a domestic disturbance.

Just because you don't do these things, doesn't mean others do not.

IP likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Honestly, all of this is well covered in DS9. Jake's choices, Sisko's dad, Ezrie Dax and her family... Orion Syndicate shit... Well covered.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some people don't realize our military has many diplomatic functions. And they mapped the bottom of the ocean first, went to space first, etc etc. Starfleet is a clear parallel to a military in a setting where we have directives forbidding interfering with other cultures without their consent. And later they peel back the facade and show that Starfleet isn't really different from NATO at all, but that is mostly in DS9 and Enterprise.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's fiction guys.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. fl0at_

There is a broader philosophy, and is short only a few technologies from certain parts being not fiction.

15. fl0at_

DS9 said baseball hasn't been played in a couple hundred years, so I've lost immersion.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pike City Pioneers say otherwise.

IP likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, the return of baseball is just yet another sign of the decay of federation society.

18. fl0at_

Lower Decks: Season 2
    Aug 12, 2021

Wut wut

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ehhh...

20. fl0at_

[​IMG]

Attached Files: