The Final Frontier: All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Imagine making a friend, finding out he is lost, but refusing to drive him a couple of blocks home out of principle.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It was interesting in the fact it puts the federation on the other end of the Prime Directive.

Voyager might be an acquired taste.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, and not for the first time. One can see shades of it with Q interactions as well. A perverse sort of prime directive in both cases, but "warp capable" is pretty arbitrary and anthrocentric in context of Star Trek.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've stopped and started it a couple of times. it does get better after the first season. it's still way below ds9 or tng IMO

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has some good episodes and a good overall arc, but it definitely starts slow and never has the high peaks of the other series.

droski likes this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They tried to make this point in the episode I'm on, and I disagree with the logic of it.

The prime directive doesn't seem to apply when someone discovers the existence of technology, and then asks for help.

The prime directive seems to apply to pre warp civilizations, who, if they saw the warp drive, and asked if they could use it... would probably be allowed.

In that the prime directive is not humane, there I agree. But it isn't quite the same.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's an episode of Enterprise you are going to [uck fay]ing hate.

8. fl0at_

I don't doubt. The prime directive is completely at odds with everything else relating to the Star Trek universe.

"Oh, these billions of people died and we could have prevented it? Well at least they didn't find out about warp technology before their time!"

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have always felt warp technology is a terrible metric. It should be a multifaceted evaluation that considers their capacity/suitability/desire to engage with other species. E.g., if they are trying to reach out and contact/explore other celestial bodies, they are eligible for contact and progressive assistance/intervention to the extent that there is consent and consensus.

10. NorrisAlan

I hope everyone is watching Strange New Worlds.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it’s been good. I’m a couple of episodes behind though

12. fl0at_

Still stuck in Voyager hell.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The year of hell part one or two? Red Foreman was a great star trek villain

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

Well done, IP.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've tried to stick it out but can never get past the second season. then i just watch the final 3 episodes and call it a day

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why does every Star Trek series have an episode where the actors decide to basically do Shakespeare? Awful

IP likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

These are freaking hilarious

[​IMG]

IP likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Norris do you remember the Star Trek Eneterprise collection as a kid? I got it for Christmas when I was little. Even had a beam me up door that spun and made Kirk disappear.

19. NorrisAlan

Yeah, the bridge and transporter room. I didn't have it though, I was into Micronauts and then Star Wars toys .

I did have a phaser water pistol, though