The General Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of his, but he is pretty damn good.

2. kidbourbon

3. kidbourbon

4. kidbourbon

5. kidbourbon

Former UT Vol Tennys Sandgren reached the finals of the US Clay Court Championship, which is held in this ridic posh country club in Houston. He's now up to 47 in the world. Keep in mind he played #3 at UT and we didn't win the national championship. We really should have. The top three on that team have either cracked the top 100 in singles , or come really close. And JP Smith has gotten up to #52 in the world in doubles.

Rhyne Williams was the most talented of the three, and was outpacing the other two in singles results the first few years after turning pro, but he's had a number of back issues and is pretty much a shell of the player he could have otherwise been.

Sandgren hopped on a plane right after the Houston final en route to Monte Carlo for the Masters 1000 tournament there. Ballsy move to do that. I'm not bullish on his chances of even getting out of the first round, but cool that he went ahead and made the trip. As a guy who is starting to have success later than most tennis players tend to, I think he really appreciates the opportunity he has with his current ranking. He can get into those Masters 1000 draws without having to qualify, and I think he wants to take advantage of his situation while it lasts. He's a very thoughtful guy.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018...ouston-title-against-inspired-sandgren/73340/

Tennys has his hat on backwards:

6. kidbourbon

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Closest thing would probably be me at the game of 4 square.

8. kidbourbon

I was fairly stellar at 4-square myself. Best in my class throughout elementary school, and don't recall playing it after that.

9. kidbourbon

10. kidbourbon

He's now at 46 consecutive sets on clay.

https://deadspin.com/rafa-is-somehow-still-setting-new-records-on-clay-1825577955

Nadal actually owns five of the seven longest clay-court set streaks in the Open Era:

- 46 sets in a row: Rafael Nadal (2017-2018) (and counting)

- 35 sets in a row: Guillermo Coria (2003-2004)

- 34 sets in a row: Ilie Nastase (1973)

- 32 sets in a row: Rafael Nadal (2010-2011)

- 31 sets in a row: Rafael Nadal (2007-2008)

- 30 sets in a row: Rafael Nadal (2012)

- 30 sets in a row: Rafael Nadal (2006-2007)

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Id never even seen a clay court until last spring in Como, Italy. Is it a euro thing?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We’ve got the green clay courts over here, but they aren’t as common as the regular hard surface. Red clay is mainly in Europe and it’s supposedly different to play on than the green, but I can’t say I’ve ever tried it.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Saw this poem and pic posted on FB:

The world owes you an apology
    Not just the umpire
    Not just the French Open
    Not just racists who ask if you feel intimidated by Sharapova’s basic looks
    Or being drug tested more than
    The basic looking actual drug user
    The nurses and doctors who ignored
    Your knowledge
    Of your own body
    Almost causing your death
    Every time they questioned your
    Femininity
    Ability
    Strength
    Integrity
    Victory
    They did so because of your skin
    Asian parents who mold their children are
    Tiger mothers
    White parents who risk everything
    Turn sex tapes into millions
    Are momagers
    But your father who made legends out of
    Compton Concrete
    Shaping you and your sister
    Like Michelangelo chiseled David
    He is loud
    Obnoxious
    Insane
    The world owes you an apology
    But we know it will never come
    Because first they would have to acknowledge
    The hatred
    The racism
    It isn’t your black panther suit
    Your beauty
    Your millions
    You venting to a umpire
    A broken racket
    Or a demand of proper medical care
    It’s your blackness that offends
    Your power when you should be powerless
    Your confidence
    When you should always grovel
    Always remind yourself
    That you should thank them
    for allowing you
    To be on the courts at all
    As if a Queen tells the jester
    thank you for her
    Throne
    You are the living breathing embodiment of
    #blackgirlmagic
    The dream of our ancestors
    The power of our foremothers
    The strength that the
    Middle passage
    Slavery
    Jim Crow
    and America
    Could not break
    You are more than the
    GOAT
    You are goddess
    Fearless
    More than tennis
    You are a living black legend
    And they hate you for it

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

Personally, while I thought the call was petty, I thought her response to it was a bit over the top. And it seems like you can’t really say anything negative about Serena anymore without being called a racist or a sexist.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

She's obviously not the first athlete to be frustrated, and won't be the last either. I read that the fans were booing about the other lady winning and she stood up and said not to boo her, she just won her first major tennis championship, and there's something to be said about that. Classy person, and competitor. She is another role model for kids, I can't think of any major scandals she's been involved in.

15. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

That person is mentally ill.

justingroves likes this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

She kind of comes across as a [itch bay] in the long video of the encounter with the umpire. She said a few things along the lines of (not exact quotes):

“You owe me an apology.” multiple times

“You will never umpire on a court where I am playing ever again.”

And then turned it into a “you’re only doing this because I’m a woman. If I was a man, this wouldn’t be happening.” It went from a holier than thou act to a victim act.

And as for her “standing up” for Naomi Osaka when the crowd was booing, that’s a crock of shit too. She had already de-legitimized Osaka’s accomplishment by throwing her little hissy fit in the middle of getting outplayed. The match wasn’t over, but Osaka looked primed to take the victory regardless of the penalty, and Serena’s outburst COMPLETELY stole her moment. It was this woman’s first grand slam title, and it will forever be remember for Serena acting like a petulant child throwing a damn temper tantrum in the middle of the match. That’s not fair to Osaka, and I feel terrible for her.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I didn't see any of it, just what I read, so I believe what you are saying.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Was she playing against a male tennis player?

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If it’s true that there is a double standard, and the rule and/or rules are not properly enforced between the male and female players, then that is a problem and she has a right to be upset. It doesn’t matter who she is playing or who ever else is playing.

Should she take it as far as she did? Considering her point, again, if true, yes.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Stephen A pointed out multiple instances of this same umpire making very similar calls against male players in the past. Apparently the guy has a history of being a bit tedious, but not in any way “sexist.”

Which I think makes everything Serena did even worse.