The General Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The commercial with her running is racist and sexist for making her ass so bubbly and big from the side.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Stereotyping women tennis players as a blonde hair, light skinned, thin female.

She was actually playing a dark haired, dark skinned Japanese woman.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My God we like to [itch bay] about everything now.

justingroves, kptvol and VolDad like this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I am unaware of any stereotype that paints female tennis players as blonde. They are definitely overwhelmingly thin. That's no more sexist than drawing a male basketball player tall.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Here’s one:

C2512BC0-02BE-4CED-B003-FDAA4F65514E.jpeg

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Walk me though the process here. How would you draw Serena's competitor?

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Thin with dark hair.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I believe I already addressed that.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You did not, specifically.

I want to know how to draw an unsexist image of a female tennis player.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No, I did. Specifically even.

“She was actually playing a dark haired, dark skinned Japanese woman.”

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ignoring that is not at specific as to how you would draw a cartoon tennis player, I will take your meaning that you would have drawn her to more closely resemble Naomi Osaka. So, it is then your position that had the artist drawn the second female with a black pony-tail and darker skin, the cartoon would then be merely racist and not sexist?

12. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

This was about as far from measured and well-thought out as it really gets. Becoming outraged at an official for enforcing rules is a really terrible way to construct an article wanting to say "Serena's right and the official was wrong".

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well.

14. Tenacious D

Was she receiving coaching during the match?

If so, is that against the rules?

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I certainly wouldn’t draw her as a white girl.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There’s not any actual evidence that she was looking at her coach at the time of the infraction.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

The official said he noticed the coach signalling and gave a warning. The coach explicitly admitted to 'coaching' by signalling immediately after the match. I'm really baffled at where the controversy is here.

As a separate argument, I can understand protesting that the rule shouldn't exist, and it's one I'd agree with. I can empathize with her being frustrated and in those moments of intense competitiveness losing her cool as that's part of being competitive, at times. But even after the match she maintained her ridiculous stance of being blatantly wrong while championing red herrings such as that she was "fighting for women's rights" and stating "as a mother" she doesn't cheat.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

This article doesn’t aide your point, Dooz.
    If anything, it hurts it.

She broke the rules, and he exercised his discretion in invoking the necessary penalties - each of which the game (seemingly) affords.

That some in the past (many years, per the article) have broken the same rules and gone without penalty, is akin to trying to excuse your speeding by saying that others were doing the same, but weren’t caught.

It’s still speeding, still wrong and still deserving of penalty.

That others have gotten away with it, without penalty, is no suitable excuse for her actions.

And neither is the fact that she is a black woman.

The temporary backlash she’s now facing isn’t the result of racism or sexism, as you suggest, and try to rationalize. To the direct contrary, it’s actually and exactly because people expect more - much more - from our larger-than-life champions, such as she’s been for years, and continues to be.

She was wrong, handled it poorly and is - or should be - much better than this.

19. Tenacious D

I appreciate that - but I’m not asking for “actual evidence of her looking at her coach at the time of the infraction”....because that smarts of too-convenient semantics.

I’m asking if she received any coaching, and whether that’s against the rules, or not.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If he’s giving her hand signals, as he was accused of doing, but she is not looking at him, as the evidence suggests, then is she technically receiving coaching?