The General Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

She knew she was losing and wanted an excuse. Turns out that was a monumentally shitty move, thus the scrambling to find other people to blame (internet is a big place, not too tough), some from Serena and some from her stans. There's only assholes here, best to just move on. JMO.

justingroves likes this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I actually agree with the article.

I realize that’s confusing, since I originally felt she was justified, and should have clarified as much earlier today. If you don’t want to believe me, I understand.

Also, comparing rules in a sporting event to speeding down the road is a false equivalency.

3. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

The alternative is that he makes hand signals until she eventually does look at him-- inadvertently or otherwise. And considering in non-Grand Slam tournaments it's perfectly acceptable to coach, it's not at all unrealistic to expect her to make a habit of doing so.

Then there's the fact he explicitly stated he was attempting to coach, and with that fact, I don't understand why that approach is taken.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Did you mean disagree?

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

With my original thoughts? Yes.

Though I didn’t do a very good job making that clear. At all. My apologies. Again.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You’ve established that. How would you draw her?

Her body fatter, skinnier, musclier? Black ponytail? Pink Mohawk? Name tag that says “Naomi”?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

How she looks.

Is there a point here? How would you draw her? How do you think I should draw her?

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How does she look? I’ve never seen her or even heard of her prior to this incident.

I’ll settle for body thickness and a color palate for skin and hair.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

She’s Japanese, but, I learned today she also claims Hatian decent as well. She has a darker complexion with dark hair. I don’t know anything how to decribe body thickness.

The caricature depicted I would associate with Maria Sharapova, for reference. Naomi Osaka isn’t that.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. Sounds like he was way off the mark. Almost like that character was completely ancillary and he just drew a generic female that wasn’t intended to represent a dark-skinned woman from Japan. He appears to have done a pretty poor job recreating Carlos Ramos, as well - almost as if he made no effort to do so. Seems that of the three characters, only Serena is wearing an outfit that even somewhat resembles what was worn that day on the court. So, no, I don’t think it was sexist. I think he drew his subject and then filled in the background details without thought. The joke wasn’t about Ramos or Osaka.

But speaking of Osaka, a quick google search just now revealed to me that she has a blond ponytail, so your depiction is inaccurate, racist, and extremely offensive. She’s on Twitter if you’d like to issue a formal apology.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ok.

Also, there wasn’t a joke.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was hit with the, McEnroe lost his shit when he played all the time. I said, yeah, but he was a man, and white. This girl says, for your sake, I hope you're joking

NYY likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Only white girls can have blonde pony tails.

I’ll get IP to draw the science up, in a follow up post.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Tennis umpires reportedly considering boycott of Serena Williams matches

Stung by what they perceive as a lack of institutional support for the chair umpire who gave Serena Williams a game penalty late in the U.S. Open women’s final, which set off a firestorm of criticism, other umpires are reportedly discussing the possibility of boycotting her matches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rena-williams-matches/?utm_term=.426f6da72e3d

NYY likes this.
  15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

McEnroe also got booted from Wimbledon one year for his on court violations.

justingroves likes this.
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t think that was the only time. But I think that doesn’t really matter so much as McEnroe is not one of her peers. The women have collectively acted differently than the men, so they are policed a bit differently. I don’t think that’s necessarily wrong. People will complain about Bama getting away with holding all game long, but probably wouldn’t care so much if the opponent didn’t have 3-4 holding penalties.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good for them.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

"You will never ever ever be on another court of mine as long as you live."

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Criticizing "pc culture" doesn't get you an automatic get out of jail free card every time one does something controversial or, dare I say, racist. The cartoonist used a very old racist trope of a black woman from something around the turn of the 20th century and got called on it.