The Genesis of My Attention Whoring Complex

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Steve C., Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How about I bring a piece of paper and right down a 50 digit number and let you look at it for 5 minutes. Could you repeat it? If not will you give me $10,000? Money should be no issue with the career path you are on.

2. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Absolutely, I could, but I don't have 10K yet.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would also add to the original sentiment of this thread thy memory and intelligence are not indicative of one another.

4. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Memory is a major component.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So if I memorized every single thing Spiderman / Peter Parker said since that comic premiered in the 60s you'd consider me one of the greater minds on this site?

6. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

^ This is what you call a red herring, kids.

Of course not. What is intelligence? We're opening a giant can of philosophical worms here, IP. Better prepare your liquid sword.

7. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Meant to say kpt^

8. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Is it the ability to learn concepts? What is a concept? An amalgamation of parts? Don't you need to memorize the parts to put it together in order to learn the concept? Ditto with math. Memorize the steps, no?

9. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Is it simply logic? Don't you just memorize the laws of logic, consciously or not, and apply them? Want to see my syllogism?

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Math? Memorizing formulas isn't going to be enough to save you when it gets really complicated. Having to pull that stuff put of a book doesn't make you less intelligent if you are still able to arrive at the solution.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do you really think kids fail algebra because they can't memorize the quadratic equation?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You have to rack your memory to determi what is logical?

13. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Its usually because:

A. They don't give a damn, which means
    -They don't pay attention in class
    -They don't study
    -They don't do their homework
    B. A learning disability which correlates with poor memory

Memory is integral. Period. You wouldn't know for which equation to look in your book without it.

14. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

It's subconsciously memorized for most.

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

This shit again?

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

GT has established himself as a genius ITT.

17. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

We really need IP up in this joint. I don't have the e-cred to convince kpt of anything.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You placed a lot of value on IQ earlier. There are a lot of questions on standard IQ test that involve simple pattern recognition and continuance. How is memory helping you there?

19. Steve C.

Steve C. Banned

Belfast, Belgrade, Brussels, Bombay, Brunei, Bhutan, Brixton, Brisbane, Belmopan, and that's just the Bs!

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And yet, it would still be entirely possible to be exceptional in mathematics without an exceptional memory. Of course a person with zero memory would struggle. This isn't [uck fay]ing Memento, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.