The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Annual trip with lg and MHF?

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

no.

DSCN0908.jpg

3. cotton

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

5. cotton

sorry. having a little trouble uploading.

DSCN0909.jpg

6. cotton

yes. i've got 6 or 8 months to figure out where.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Badass.

Where did you get him at?

8. cotton

New Mexico, near the Colorado border. My father also took a nice 6x5.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want to do that before I die. Did you hunt public land or private?

10. cotton

It was on land owned by the Jicarilla Apache nation, so I guess that puts it somewhere in between.

It's beautiful country, and I'm glad I got to do the trip with my father. We both enjoyed it and are already looking for a trip next year. I'm thinking muleys, but we'll see how it works out.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Muleys from where?

I've always wanted a blacktail from the west coast too.

12. cotton

Not sure yet, just in the investigative stages. I;ve talked to a guy who has quite a bit of experience, and the most likely suspects right now are Colorado or Southern Wyoming.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Good luck.

I was going to do the turkey grand slam this spring but the baby is going to push it back a year.

14. cotton

I saw a lot of Miriams while I was out there. Small birds compared to what we have here, short beards, but pretty cool.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Nice take cotton. Was hoping to see a bow laying on the ground, but nope, rifle.

Hope you got 12 foot ceilings, otherwise that dude is going to be chest high and extending out to the other wall.

16. cotton

I just don't have the time to be patient enough to bow hunt anymore.

I haven't figured out where I'm going to put him yet. My father has a space where he may have to stay until I get something figured out. I don't have a room that will hold him without putting the base of his neck on the baseboards.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got room

18. cotton

Cooked some of my bull; first wild elk I've eaten. I sauteed tenderloin medallions in some butter with wine and mushrooms. It wasn't bad, but it is very heavy meat, and it was a bit gamey for my tastes. I'd say that it is gamier than deer, but honestly, it has been so long since I've eaten a buck that I don't have a good comparison. It is certainly gamier than the meat does I've actually put in the skillet in recent years.

Next time I will try to give it something with a little more kick than the wine to compliment the wild flavor and heavy texture. I've seen some recipes that use coffee grounds, au poivre might work, and I think a marinade with a jalepeno and some bacon--just like I cooked the doves-- might be right on.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Elk is always gamey, but I think you acquire a taste for it relatively quickly.

I'm thinking of going to Ohio and doing some Bengal tiger hunting. First and last chance to do so legally in the US.

20. cotton

I've also got to figure out what to do with the ivories. My father had necklaces made for my brother and me from his first bull, it as a kid, I thought they were really cool. It was something like this on a leather strap:

A063.jpg