The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't know if you would be interested, but if you have spare antlers or scrap sections of antlers that are straight, at least 5" long and 3/4" diameter, I can make you a pen using my lathe. I'm handy like that......

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bucks are starting to tail does. They aren't full blown chasing, but they are paying them a lot of attention.

Tomorrow looks to be a good day to be in the woods.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Bit early isn't it?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

About a week and a half to two weeks earlier than normal. The last few years haven't been right where I hunt anyways.

A big nanny doe raised up on her hind legs this morning when a little scrub buck came up to her in a field. He left.

I missed the doe from about 35 yards. I shot right over her back. I've decided to watch football the rest of the day.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes we have. First frost usually kicks stuff off pretty good but we haven't had a good one yet.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saw a a lot of deer between 6:45 to 7:30 and then they stopped moving.

I had a little basket racked 6 pointer making a scrape about 6 yards from me. A big 8 or 9 stayed just out of bow range eating persimmons. I could have killed the little 6, but I got greedy knowing the 8 or 9 was close by.

7. punkcat

punkcat Member

Same here. I had three little bucks come in early then nothing. Beautiful cold morning though.

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I haven't even gotten out in the woods. I'm not sure when/if I'll even get to deer hunt rifle in KY this year. I'll will for sure get out and hunt with buddies in TN once I go home for winter break.

9. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Oldest daughter killed a button head this morning on juvenile hunt. Thought it was a big Doe. Saw 20 this morning and heard a buck chasing a doe. My son was hunting with his grandfather(my father) and they saw 11, but couldnt get a good shoton any of them. All does

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Congrats CV.

A friend of mine's 9 year old son killed abut a 130 inch 8 pointer this morning. It was his first deer.

11. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Awesome

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His 7 year old got an 8 pointer that's about 110 inches yesterday afternoon.

They had a good weekend

13. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Hell of a first deer! I'm 18 and my biggest is still 132 inches. I have missed two that were both 140+ though, neither with a rifle.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

stuff is moving this morning. I've been in my stand for 30 minutes and have heard things moving all over. It's still pitch black out here.

15. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I had one buddy shoot a 10 pt that will score at least 140 this morning. I went to look at my stand and make 100% sure I would be able to find it in the dark and spooked up a big bodied deer, never got a look at its head but if its rack is anything like its body it was a nice deer. Rifle opens next week for me in KY and I'll sit in the stand all day Saturday.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Buddy killed a 170 lb 6 pointer. He had been getting pictures of it for the past 4 years and all he added was mass every year.

Let two does walk.

Got busy and couldn't make it this afternoon.

17. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

That sucks thats all that deer ever did, once I saw he didn't get bigger after two years I'd have busted him so he would quit breeding.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

First time he had seen him in person. A 5 year old deer on the move at ten o'clock in the morning

19. punkcat

punkcat Member

I had 8 does and 2 bucks and could get a shot with my Drenalin. I was still shaking 30 minutes later. I was gonna kill that 8 pointer. Was the fog as bad where your at. I couldn't see till 8 o'clock and my range finder wouldn't work.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fog was terrible yesterday morning, not too bad today.