The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

When does modern gun season open in Tennessee? It is 11/12-21 here.

2. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I thought it was through thet 27th, cotton.

3. cotton

It is. My brain told my fingers to type the wrong thing.

4. MacReady

MacReady New Member

It depends on which unit your county is in. East TN is unit B and it's Nov 19 - Jan 1. My wife saw a 6 point out the kitchen window about 20 yards from the house last week. Soon.

5. cotton

Which county are you hunting?

6. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'll be hunting in Todd. Now that I'm a Murray State student I get an instate hunting license for KY and don't have to pay 200 dollars to deer hunt.

7. cotton

I'm your neighbor; I'll be hunting Christian.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anybody want to lease me some land to hunt?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Yeah I thought you were a hoptown guy. I actually live in Robertson Co, TN but my one of my uncles has 500 acres in Todd that is great hunting land so thats where I hunt.

10. cotton

Hung a stand this afternoon. Minor scalp laceration, possible brain contusion, and only one leftover part. I call that a success.

Also, I'll probably hunt on the ground.

11. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I hate hunting on the ground and won't do it, especially hunting close to where other people are hunting.

12. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I hunt in thick woods though, hard to sit on the ground and hunt thick woods. I don't really care much for hunting a field either, you can show your a better hunter by hunting thick in the woods.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've killed more deer on the ground than in a tree too.

14. cotton

Not the best option for the area I'll be hunting. Besides, I would have missed the fun of assembling and installing.

Not really the measure I would use to value a hunter.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Says the Kentucky hunter sitting over a pile of corn

I'm kidding

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm in a tree probably 80% of the time I hunt. There's a few spots where there are some old blowdowns on the sides of ridges I can get set up in and see for miles.

17. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

haha I've hunted over corn one time, I put a bag out 30 yards from my tree when I was bow hunting. Of course a big buck never came and ate from it.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I got to know a few wildlife biologists when I was in school. They claim that about 99% of deer that will come to corn during daylight hours are does and yearling bucks. They say baiting is a waste of time if you're after a sad daddy.

19. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

yeah I never put anything out after that besides a mineral lick in front of a camera.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll throw a bag or two out in front of a camera in the middle of August just to see what I got and a bag or two right after the season to see what hangs around.

I've got a few spots where I've poured trace mineral salt for years that looks like a shallow swimming pool now.