The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We've killed a few greenies, but nothing like what we normally do. We have managed to kill two blue wing teal, which has never happened to me during regular duck season.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

What are everyone's thoughts on the world of scopes?

I generally want to avoid gimmicks and definitely will want something that will hold zero once sighted in.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like leupold and redfields. Vortex makes a good scope. You generally get what you pay for.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Most scopes these days hold a zero. It’s most hunters that forget if you sight your scope in at 80 degrees in the summer, that it’s off near 5 inches when you squeeze off at 30 degrees in the morning.

I don’t like Nikon’s BCD thing. But if you don’t mind it, I’ve had one for 16 years that has never failed me.

justingroves likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or if you hit it on a tree stand ladder, it will shoot off.

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I got a cheap Barska for free from a buddy just to test out my .270 and that thing did not hold zero @100y over 3 sessions all within a month.

I'd expect a Vortex or a Nikon to hold so I'm not really worried about it. I'm looking at a Nikon 4-12x40 that's on sale for $130 down from $220. Seems like a no-frills scope but doesn't have the "buckmaster" light filter that I've heard people rave about. Didn't know how much of a gimmick that is.

7. fl0at_

When you adjust your elevation or windage, give the side of the scope a bit of a knock. If el is up and windage is right, bump it on the left side across from windage.

Your adjustments might be lagging, and bouncing around in your car is bringing it back in line.

Coatings in optics are not gimmicks. They increase light transmission to your eye, which will make the scope clearer, the cross hair finer at all light levels.

Not all coatings are created equal, and that is where most money is spent on a scope.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You should make sure that isn't a problem with the mounts or rings, or even with the bedding in the rifle. That is more likely than a faulty scope, IMO.

The difference in quality scopes these days (aside from ballistic adjustments, which is a different story,) is mainly in clarity and light gathering capabilities, not ability to hold. If you get something from a major name--Leupold, Nikon, Burris, or one of the 'spensive Euro brands--it will hold zero. Hell, I expect the cheap ass Tasco would, too, just don't expect to be able to see anything at dusk.

fl0at_ likes this.
  9. fl0at_

Yup. I’ve had a cheap as dirt BSA on a 308 for 10 years that holds fine. But I’m squinting at 3 in the afternoon and praying at 5.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got some stupidly over priced Leopold on my 30-06 (because I'm a small child at heart) that is amazing at dusk and dawn.

I've got a Redfield on my muzzleloader that is almost as good in low light for a lot cheaper. I know now that Leopold makes them both.

Both hold zeros and I've shot a lot of deer with both.

11. fl0at_

Next time Pro Bass runs that $199 rifleman and rings deal, I’m buying one for my bolt .22.

justingroves likes this.
  12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The groups were tight @100y though. I would think if it were the mount or rifle itself, it would have been erratic. It was consistent.. just consistently drifting.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Rifle is a Savage Axis II .270, btw. Not a 700 but good enough for a ~1.5" group at 100 which is all I really want/need.

14. fl0at_

Put that Nikon on it and see. Worst case, it’s a $170 placebo that’ll last you as long as you keep your grubby fingers off the lenses.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm sure scopes that won't zero exist, I've just never actually had one, and that certainly isn't the first place I'd look. I would think if it didn't hold, the groups would spread, as it wouldn't "slip" consistently. I'd check the mounts, but I'm a hunter, not a gunsmith, which is probably what you need.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Pretty much.

Damned optics going to be 2/3 the cost of the rifle.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I have a 50 mm Nikon on my 30-06, I can see things through the scope at low light I can't see with the naked eye. The BDR distracts me a touch, but not so bad I'm taking it off.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This, 100%. I have a muzzleloader that the mounting screws backed out one. Missed my buck of a lifetime. I took it back home and couldn't hit a 2 ft by 2ft board consistently, I shot that damn muzzleloader 50 times, cool barrel, warm barrel, 100 grains, 150 grains, finally took it back to where I bought t and had it mounted for free. Guy tells me, no way it's off that bad, rifle must be bad. He finds the mounting screws loose. Tightens them bag up and starts mounting the scope back. I say, you think we should put some lock right on those screws? He say, boy, I haven't had one screw back out on me since I've been doing this. I said until today? He got pissed and told me not to be a smart ass. Another guy in the shop told me he puts a little clear finger nail polish on all of his. So that's what I did.

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So, I talked to my buddy who got this scope from his cousin. Apparently it was on a .338 win-mag and he thinks an internal component got hosed.

According to a recoil energy chart, .338 is about 2x a .270 so there is that. Never shot one, looks like an absolute beast.

Thoughts on 40 vs 50?

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The 50 let's in more light. I feel like I can tell a difference.