The Ice Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Joseph Brant, Feb 16, 2014.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hell, they obviously aren't even looking at his stats this year, on that note. He's already a 60 pt player there

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Fiala for Granlund is a straight up home run

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Simmonds apparently coming as well, not sure there unless we got him discounted.

Hartman and a pick, no way it's a first, hopefully midround?

2020 4th, changes to 3rd if we make the second round. Seems pretty good.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Fiala, Hartman and a 4th/3rd for Granlund and Simmonds. Kept Tolvanen, Fabbro and our first round picks. Poile is a wizard

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I just hope this impacts our play for the better. This up & down type bipolar play stuff makes me feel like I need a lithium prescription.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

you guys like Ryan Ellis? I have debates with Preds fans here that love him and he's well thought of in hockey I guess, but in each game it seems to me he makes a half effort play, bad clear attempts, or no mans land on defense and gives up a turnover that turns into a goal or doesn't attack the puck and gives opponents options of shots and passes.
    Good trades thought. Hartman never looked like he fit in. What happened with Fiala? He looked fast and had potential.

7. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Poile is the GOAT

8. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

I'd be fine with trading Ellis in the offseason honestly (not that I don't like him). He's a tad smaller than most defenseman
    Fiala just couldn't seem to put it together. The potential is there, but Granlund is definitely the better player right now. Maybe a change of scenery will help KF

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Ellis was a lot better 2 years ago, hopefully he gets it back but his scoring is way down and he hasn't been consistent defensively. That happened to coincide with getting a contract extension, but from watching games he doesn't seem like the type.

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Also if Fiala were a locker room fit, I doubt you see him traded. 22 year old skilled forwards don't get dealt too often.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm a Forsberg guy. Love to watch what he can do with the puck, and his wrist shot, wow. It's a connon.

Saying that, he's been snake bitten lately. I'd like to know how many posts he has rung this month alone. The biggest aspect he needs to greatly improve upon is turnovers. He has been terrible lately turning the puck over in our zone which has led to lots of uncontested shots and far too often goals. His turnover while we were on the 1st pp last night that led to an Oilers short handed goal was terrible. This has got to stop if we're to go anywhere this year.

12. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So it's getting to be about that time, how do you see the Stanley Cup shaking out? I'd at least like to see Carolina get in, but other than that I just want to see some good series.

13. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Tampa needs 13 of the last 14 points to break the all-time team record. Doubtful, but pretty incredible they're still in the hunt to do so.

Fun fact, #1 all time was #1 is the 76-77 Candiens team with 132. #2 is 95-96 Detroit with 131. Both teams were coached by Scotty Bowman.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think I did the math right on this. Obviously, it's a pretty silly scenario, but with one week to play, the Hurricanes could finish as high as tied for 6th in the NHL and fail to make the playoffs.

We'd need:

*San Jose picks up no more than one point
    *Nashville and Winnipeg to pick up four or fewer points each.
    *Toronto loses in OT to Carolina and loses their other games in regulation.
    *Pittsburgh picks up an OTL and two regulation losses
    *Columbus collects exactly four points in their last three games.
    *Montreal wins out, beating Toronto in regulation and winning the other two games in shootouts
    *Carolina finishes 2-0-1, but both wins come in shootouts.

The result would be a five-way tie in the East between Toronto, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Columbus, and Carolina, with Carolina losing the tiebreaker.

Alternatively, if Pittsburgh weren't in the tiebreaker, the Canes could finish tied for 7th overall and lose because of the head-to-head tiebreaker with Montreal despite winning the season series, because they played an unbalanced schedule (2 road, one home), and so Carolina's road win was thrown out for tiebreaking purposes to make it more fair.

If that wouldn't be the most Tennessee thing ever, I don't know what would be.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have watched a fair number of hockey games. I don’t recall ever seeing a 5-2 score line with over 10:00 left IN THE FIRST PERIOD

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I moved to North Carolina in 2011, and for the first time in eight years, there's going to be playoff hockey here. From one point out of last place in the NHL on New Year's Eve to the playoffs--it's been an incredible run (and somehow isn't even the most incredible one, since the team that was in last place in NYE is also going to the playoffs)

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Preds will clinch the Central with a win over the Blackhawks tomorrow. But if they lose, they could slip all the way to third place depending on what the Jets and Blues do. Crazy close race.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Last 3 minutes last night were nuts

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Preds gonna do anything or lose early this year?