The Legacy of Mike Hamilton

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 28, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My wife's (very) part-time employer sent out an email last week to the staff telling them about a vet leaving and the reasons why. Of course, she and this vet are close and the "official" reason she left was 100% a lie to make himself look better. After reading it, I looked at her and said, "that sounds like something Dave Hart would write."

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

`
    Hamilton was a milquetoast administrator that never managed or directed anything in his life. It is those exact qualities, by the way, that got him his job in the first place. The coaches supported him because they thought they could push him around, which is exactly what they did. The boosters agreed to him because they knew he wouldn't have any strength in the position and would never be able to buck them and, for instance, completely screw them on a football hire they had pre-arranged. The administrators accepted him because it meant they would win any power struggle with the athletic department.

So don't blame Hamilton. He did exactly what he was hired to do.

3. CardinalVol

So can I blame Fulmer?

4. cotton

Partly, but having a spineless AD didn't, in the end, do him any favors.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Dat buyout.

6. cotton

Was referring more to the whole "going down in flames" thing.

7. CardinalVol

I tend to recall that he and Thunder were the leading drivers of installing Hamilton as AD once no one else wanted to job.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

9. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

For Cardinal (and the other financial guys), how in the world does this happen? It seems like a simple Excel spreadsheet covering a 5 year period would tell you that we were headed for serious trouble???

From the sportsbusinessdaily article, we're paying $21M in debt service on $200+M in debt???!!!

I remember reading discussions on TOOS about how many construction/renovation projects are kept separate from the regular budget (or something like that) and that the Phase Ones, and Phase Twos, and Phase Twenty-Threes, etc. of Hammy's big plans for Neyland were, in large, paid for. How does nobody in the AD look at the balance sheet and see a problem?

How is there not transparency in the AD so that the fans and everybody in the AD all hold each other accountable??

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[youtube]kowv6l2CBD0[/youtube]

12. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

13. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

This sounds like PR babble combined with big numbers to excuse the hiring of Butch Jones and his best staff in America because poor little Tennessee doesn't have any money.

14. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

This thread is embarassing.
    LSU and Bama in 2011 show more than 200 million in debt.
    Hamilton raised tremendous amounts of money, often for non revenue producing sports. Mens football and basketball are all that matters for revenue.

Donations dropped off dramatically when Hamilton left. Dooley losing over and over didnt help. If Butch Jones wins 9 games we can start to see what a failure Hart is in fundraising...

15. CardinalVol

How much cash are both those programs sitting on? My guess is close to 9 figures for each. I know at least 50m. Big difference. We've not lost that much in donations in under 2 years.

16. JayVols

You really are MikeHamiltonFan........

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Shit, I feel sorry for the Blood:Water Mission, he's the President of US Operations.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why? His point is correct. Our cash balance is an issue because we aren't generating any revenue of late and paying a truckload from having hired a crapload of sorry ass coaches, but our debt load isn't absurd relative to our income levels.

19. JayVols

Speaking glowingly of Hamilton?

Unless I completely misinterpreted intent.

20. CardinalVol

Yes, but who as at fault for the hiring of said crapload of coaches?

Now, if we were still sitting here selling out Neyland 7-8 times in the fall then this is all moot, but we're not and the entire mess we are in can be traced back to one person.