The Military History Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, Nov 24, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hell, even bin Laden got a few Muslim prayers before getting tossed.

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Moreso that in the planning phase, despite all the logistical factors involved, someone thought to pack a bunch of Soviet flags in the event they needed to do burials at sea.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Started teaching on the Chinese civil war that led to Mao bringing communism to China then the background of the Korean War today.

I think today's high schoolers with the exception of a few are completely oblivious to the world around them.

I do have one student that is flat out impressive. I've learned a lot from him this semester. I mean the guy has some full ride history scholarship. That's impressive. He can't do much of anything other than read history books.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

We never even made it to WWI in any history class I've ever had.

5. Joseph Brant

My European History ended with Charlemagne, but it was an amazing lesson. Back before canned curriculum, of course.

6. JayVols

It's Modern History. That helps.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then you gotta pick up the pace!

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No worse today than it has ever been. As we get older, the younger people just seem dumber and dumber, but we were just as dumb for the most part.

imho

9. JayVols

Nah. Right on target. '50s this week, 60's social history next week. Vietnam the next. Then the 70s, 80s, 90s and the new century the following. I have a week to spare.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  10. JayVols

I wasn't.

And it's been a steady decline the past 20 years.

11. Joseph Brant

I think I was pretty well informed as a kid. Of course I also read encyclopedias in bed when I was in grade school.

12. JayVols

It's not that they're dumb. They just don't care what happens outside their bubble.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But people like you guys are no different than that one kid you have in your class now. I know you are a teacher Jay, so I will give over to your opinion more than mine, but when I hear statements like "kids just are worse today" I usually think it is more nostalgic thinking than truth.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This history teacher agrees. Finding the hooks can be the biggest challenge. Things I find fascinating about history are often things they couldn't give a crap about. I was discussing the Cuban Missile Crisis the other day and how it was the closest to nuclear destruction this world has ever seen, yet, crickets.

15. JayVols

I like dealing with kids- a lot. Sure, there's some that are informed, but the number not at all concerned with anything outside their bubble has skyrocketed. That group believes anything they see on the internet.

16. JayVols

I start that lesson with a 5 minute video compilation of nuclear bomb tests. Destruction seems to catch more that normal.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kids haven't changed. The amount of pure shit raising them has though.

Plus we've hit a point in society that education isn't deemed necessary by a large part of the population

18. Joseph Brant

Just from observing and overhearing conversations, a disturbing number of people take pride in their disdain for learning.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Kids have changed. Most fall back to Internet as font of all knowledge and few think apart from it and these are the college kids.

20. Joseph Brant

The Overland Campaign:

Could Lee have done better? Could Grant have used his numbers to force Lee to withdraw without the horrific battles on the Rappahannock/North Anna line?