The Military History Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, Nov 24, 2012.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Don't ever change, I've missed you.

The only person more uptight that Data, haha.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Slower at taking on water giving more time for attempts ar damage control?

I'd say the speed/effectiveness of damage control could be a big factor.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't think it's coincidence that the other Nevada class (the Nevada) was beached.

I bet a thorough analysis of the hull design, and compartmentation of the two would reveal why either would capsize after taking similar hits.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Most of the ships sunk at Pearl Harbor were refloated and used in the war. The fact that no carriers were lost was the reason we were able to turn the tide of momentum at Midway with a draw basically at the Coral sea.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Japan's strategy was a swing for the fences. They were hoping to get an agreement of US withdrawal from all western Pacific holdings. I doubt that was ever going to happen. It would have been longer, bloodier, and messier, but eventually the manufacturing capacity of the US was going to run them out of the pool. That they failed to get the carriers was a significant blunder in itself, as they themselves were ahead of the curve in realizing the modern surface naval paradigm.

6. OrangeEmpire

See what happens when you play nice.

:hi:

7. OrangeEmpire

Any of y'all watch Huntig Hitler?

I've been playing catch up and the season two premiere featured a picture of Moe Howard that was being lauded as a pic of Hitler in 1961 Argentina.

Then in episode 6, the pic is revisited but this time it's blurred out and the lead investigators voice their concerns about not wanting to present faulty evidence to the public.

Even though in episode one, the pic was analyzed by facial recognition software.

Great pic of Moe and a late 60's Cadillac.

8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

What would've happened if the French fought the Phoney War as a legitimate war rather than as a diplomatic obligation?

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think Germany would have run through France, and wouldn't have been fighting on two sides.

10. Joseph Brant

11. Joseph Brant

We went to Lexington VA for a concert, I recommend a few hours there if you're ever up 81.

Lee Chapel, Jackson Cemetery, and the VMI museum are all very nice.

The D-Day Memorial in Bedford VA is also amazing. I wandered off the tour as it got too basic for me, but I will definitely recommend the beginning of it; it's about heartbreaking the sacrifice that area of the country made in a few hours that morning.

Volst53 likes this.
  12. Joseph Brant

Soviet Storm on Amazon Prime is great

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Joseph Brant likes this.
  14. Joseph Brant

Anniversary of Little Bighorn, and me trying to explain my personal narrative as to the part we can't answer for is always fun.