The Military History Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, Nov 24, 2012.

1. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

That's awesome. We should probably have an entire thread about W&P.

You true history buffs know way more than I about the intentions and desired results of invasion than I, because I come from the literary side of the history.

2. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Never read any of them, but I might look into them before W&P for the 6th or 7th time, lol.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Pooch, philosopher king

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I guess I can see some of Zhukov's ability, but that's forgetting that the counterattack was more or less a 3 pound hammer driving roofing nails. Bang them enough they'll look seated.

He was given tools, and finished the job given. Not much unlike Grant's overland campaign, he kept up pressure, absorbing the losses that come with constant pressure, with the final goal in sight. I don't consider that brilliant generalship, as much as doing the job. As Pooch mentioned, it's just a very Russian way of doing business.

5. OrangeEmpire

So Kursk was not a strategical victory for Zhukov?

Merely go here and there?

Rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhttttttttttttt

6. Joseph Brant

Because the salient gave the Germans many choices to achieve their goals other than to commit to battle there

7. Joseph Brant

And also to be 4:1 on the south end of the casualty count for the end result of closing the bulge in the lines. That seems, to me, to be more along the lines of impressing your mass on the enemy, than it does being a wizard of tactics.

8. OrangeEmpire

So basically the embattlements, tank entrapments etc are just bull shit? Zhukov had numbers and thats it?

Who is your tactical general?

Mine would be Belisarius.

9. Joseph Brant

Probably earlier Bonaparte

10. OrangeEmpire

As in revolition, ulm or austerlitz?

11. OrangeEmpire

Shameless bump

12. Joseph Brant

Lee's plan to destroy 2 Federal corps (at different times) on the North Anna line was sound, but for the lack of force. Had he been able to finish 1 or both, would he have been able to establish the (fairly) impregnable Rappahannock line?

13. Joseph Brant

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sweet!

He's baaaaaack. I've missed these conversations my friend. Good to have ya back.

15. Joseph Brant

I can talk about wet farts and snot bubbles anywhere, but all the military historians happen to be here.

16. Joseph Brant

And if there's anything I can ramble on about, and argue with OE about, it's military history.

17. JayVols

Haha.

I learn more cool stuff about different military history topics talking with you and others here than I ever did in any college class. I don't say this much, but you definitely know your shit on the topic. It's quite impressive.

18. Joseph Brant

I appreciate that Jay. I try to know my shit before spouting off about it.

19. JayVols

I need to get you down here so I can get you to fall in with my reenactment unit if you'd like to do that sometime. I could probably get you uniformed, armed, and cootered up if needed. Brogans are the hardest item. I could even get you your own "A" tent for it. My boys would absolutely love to sit around the campfire and talk shop with you. Plus, you'd be a helluva tactician during any unscripted tactical battle. Those are just for the reenactors and are usually closed to the public. They do them before the scripted historical battles that are open to the public. It's all about out maneuvering the enemy. It's more fun that the actual "show". We got caught up in a tornado in the middle of one tactical in Aiken, SC in 2002ish. I don't/can't double time often. I quadruple timed back to camp on that one. My group usually marches at the mosey. Just the way I like it.....

20. JayVols

I often spout off shit before I know shinola. We're like Yin and Yang in that sense.