The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If the refs are going to let the Rockets get away with this style of defense all series, the Rockets will win it. I’d start a bunch of 6’6 guys too if I knew the refs were gonna let them do whatever they want on defense.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, that's not how it went, at all. Anyway, there are still parts to be determined. Today, at least, gave me some more hope Giannis won't skip out of town after next year.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

34 of Houston’s 51 shots have been 3’s. That’s ridiculous.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Have you watched a Rockets game in the last 4 years? That is normal.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They’re on track to shoot 54. That’s 9 more than their average.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I bet some games they shoot 9 fewer than their average. Crazy how things average out.

SetVol13, justingroves and utvol0427 like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

oh, look at Mr. Calculator over here

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My comment also wasn't just about the total number of attempts. It was about the percentage of their total shots that were 3 pointers. That's why I pointed out both their total shots attempted and their 3 point shots attempted.

They finished the game with 68% of their total shots being 3 pointers. That's their highest percentage for the entire playoffs. I also pulled 10 regular season games at random, and every single one was 60% or lower. All of this information suggests to me that what I was watching was unique, even for them.

If anyone wants to dig through their regular season games and tell me how many they had where their 3 point shot attempts made up 68% or more of their total shot attempts, I'll be happy to admit that game 2 wasn't unique.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They shot 70 3s out of 105 against the Nets on 01/16/2019. 66.7%. So not quite 68%, but close enough. I wouldn’t necessarily qualify 1.2 percentage points as truly unique.

However, the very next game, they shot 68 3s out of 100 FGs. Which is 68%.

That is a situation I’d call unique. Since they are also the #1 and #2 all-time team attempts for 3s in a game. Which would also make it the record for most 3s attempted in consecutive games ever. And also highest percentage of FGs coming from 3 in consecutive games.

They also had 67% of their shots come from 3 just over a month ago vs Milwaukee, 61/91, on 08/02/2020.

In the past 2 seasons, they’ve had 8 games where 3s account for more than 65% of their total shots, 4 last season and 4 this season.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Solid info. How did you find all of that without digging through each game individually? I searched briefly but couldn't find the info I needed quickly.

So if I'm reading correctly, they've had exactly 1 other game where their 3 point attempts made up 68% or more of their total field goal attempts, and 8 games in the last 2 seasons where 3PA's accounted for more than 65% of their total shots.

And all of these were regular season games? Does that mean the 68% from game 2 is the highest percentage ever in a playoff game?

Still seems pretty unique to me. Definitely doesn't seem "normal," even for the Rockets, as the OP stated.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

LeBron now the all-time leader in playoff wins.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Looking like a good chance we will get Lakers/Clippers. Should be a lot of fun.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nuggets doing everything they can to lose this game.

Jesus.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is [uck fay]ing painful to watch. Holy shit.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kemba looks scared tonight

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Big FTs for Grant here.

Uh, damn.

Big blocked shot though.

Ssmiff likes this.
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He played so big in the SEC. It’s wild to me that he looks like such a runt out there in the NBA.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Them’s big dudes

19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

It was awesome to see him bounce back with that perfect defense.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Thing is those werent pull the string nervous misses even after the review and delay. Back rim. Adrenaline. Right on line