The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Blind devotion suggests there isn't any justification for the position, which certainly isn't the case. I mean, are we going to go with the blind devotion stuff to LeBron along the same lines? I don't know why the LeBron is number 1 supporters always fall back on the "you're old and your devotion to your era is the only reason you say Jordan is the best" if someone has the temerity to not say LeBron is the best. I have been a huge basketball fan since the 80s. My superlatives are not limited to my childhood faves. The Greatest is a subjective title and, subjectively, Jordan is clearly the best I've ever seen. LeBron is #2 and Magic is a close #3.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's blind because it is repeatedly stated Jordan is the greatest and always will be, James can't touch him, etc... but James is still playing.

3. Unimane

James has been playing for 16 seasons. I feel I got a pretty good handle on what he is, at this point.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Let’s hear more about this collection of guys Bron is tied to. DWade is solid, though, again, it’s not like Bron had him in his prime. There’s all sorts of holes in the “he had DWade!” armor.

Are you talking about Chris Bosh and AD, who have losing playoff records outside of their time with Bron? Or Kevin Love, who hasn’t played in a single playoff game without Bron on his team? Or maybe Kyrie, who has won 1 playoff series outside of his time with Bron? Surely you’re not reaching as far as Ray Allen, who was on his last legs when he joined the Heat.

DWade is the only guy, currently, who you can say is better than Pippen, and again, he wasn’t in his prime. Also, didn’t Pippen have other playoff success without Jordan? Hell, didn’t they push the eventual Eastern Conference champion Knicks to 7 games after sweeping their first round opponents the year after Jordan’s first retirement?

5. Unimane

Again, this "D-Wade was past his prime" nonsense you keep pushing should really disqualify you from the discussion, at some point. He averaged about 22 points both title runs and guess who was the leading scorer for both finalists in their first NBA Finals against Dallas? Hint: It wasn't LeBron. Also, D-Wade was a year younger than Pippen at the start of his run with LeBron than Pippen was at the start of the second three peat. So, don't give me this bullshit anymore, please. You want to know a player who was clearly declining in this conversation? Look at Dennis Rodman. He was running on fumes in Chicago and flamed out right afterwards.

Hell, what's amazing is taking a look at the '98 Bulls members after that season. They drop way off, other than Kukoc.

Pippen, unlike Wade, never won much as a leading man and his later success was with a Blazers team where he was about the fourth option, a nice role player. You mention his '94 playoffs, as all LeBron arguers mention, but fail to note how he had the Bulls around .500 the next season before Jordan returned from baseball. Pippen took a three time championship team and won a single playoff series. He was a great player, but there's a reason he's called the "best #2 ever".

Look, if LeBron did what Jordan did and stayed with the team who drafted him, James would have one title right now, maybe two. We wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, he manufactured a team to help him win, twice. A guy like Chris Bosh not winning a playoff game with some terrible Toronto teams doesn't diminish the fact he was one of the best players in the league at that time, a regular All-Star and Redeem Team member. And, AD is one of the best players in the league, also on really terrible teams. If you are going to try and argue AD hasn't been a top 5ish player for years now, then you are kidding yourself, too. He's better than Pippen, too. It would've been like Jordan working with a Mitch Richmond to create a superteam in the 90s with Brad Daugherty or something. He would've killed with them, too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

D rose summing it up

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lol, I can relate to that.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was this before or after LeBron showed MVP DRose his place every 4th quarter for an entire playoff series?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, the Lakers got the player ssmiff refuses to acknowledge exists back last night, and, go figure, they won.

@Uni - I’ll get back to you later when I have more time.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Allow me to interrupt the monkeys flinging poo at each other to post something worthwhile...

11. Unimane

Nah, it's run its course, for now. Let it go, for once. I will.

12. Ssmiff

The tweet simply shows another reason why people don't put Lebron as the goat. D rose look is how many view him. Like it or not.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

People don’t put LeBron as the goat because he... danced during the intro to an all-star game? Is this a serious post you’re making in the MJ/Bron goat debate?

14. Ssmiff

He embarrasses himself too much to be the goat. The flopping. The decision. Gonna take my talents..
    Yes, part of his total package of not being the greatest. He's quite an attention whore. Goats don't need to be. Which is why he is

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The decision and gonna take my talents were the same thing... and it happened 10 years ago. He’s won 4 titles with 3 different franchises since then, but you’re harping on the decision?

How on earth is flopping looped into being an attention whore?

And how on earth would being an attention whore disqualify someone from the goat debate? That’s like saying MJ can’t be the goat because he’s a degenerate gambler.

16. Ssmiff

He's not the goat, because he's not the goat. The flopping and attention whore stuff is just gravy. And MJ could gamble till 1 am, play 36 holes at 8 am, and still go win a playoff game and another mvp of a championship series with Wennington as his center, which is goatesque

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

If James can't be the goat because he does embarrassing stuff, Jordan can't be the goat because he is a non-tipping asshole who treats hotel staff like shit.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh look, LeBron is 2-0 since getting back his PG (whose existence ssmiff refuses to acknowledge), despite still missing his "5" (he's a 4).

It's almost like the people who actually watch and pay attention to this stuff know how it works, and the one's who don't just babble their nonsense anyway.

19. Ssmiff

Yeah indy I don't understand hoops, and just babble nonsense.
    You are an emotional midget

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm fairly convinced Ssmiff does know a lot about basketball. I just think he doesn't like James and it clouds his perception regarding that player, is all.