The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They had plenty of time to rest and the attachments say differently. Kylie stepping on a size 15 shoe has nothing to do with strain. Leonard has missed 2 seasons with injuries. Was it a problem then? Embid has been hurt his whole career. Lebron made it about "me, me, me" as always.
    You won't like the answers, so I expect a 4 paragraph rebuttle which won't be read.

Attached Files:

2. Ssmiff

Wrong, but you do like James, and he can do or say no wrong. Your ability to look at opposite views will continue to be an issue for you. Maybe it's arrogance. Who knows. Who cares.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

He was wrong to cowtow on the China stuff. Swing and a miss.

Indy likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You do realize that 80% of that article is multiple independent sources saying there were more injuries this season because of the short offseason/condensed schedule, and the 20% you shared is the league saying there haven’t been more injuries… right?

What do you expect the league to say? That yeah, there have been more injuries because we are greedy bastards who want more games and more money?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31592404/data-shows-nba-injuries-condensed-season

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Him calling out the officer who shot that black girl in Ohio was wrong and much deserving of criticism.

His claims that black people (“we”) are hunted every day was also not a good look.

He is inexplicably bad at free throws.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wow, just now saw that Atlanta came back on the 6ers again. They’re gonna [uck fay] around and lose this series. Those fans have to be furious.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ben Simmons going 4-14 from the line is pathetic.

8. Ssmiff

Feel free to skip the details you dont want to read, as you did, in regards to fewer games played, 2 more months off and fewer serious injuries, as well as previous seasons having a higher rate and more players kept out as extra precaution.. Stepping on an ankle has nothing to do with greed. Already injury prone players pulling up lame has nothing to do with greed. And none of it has anything to do with lebron telling the world players are getting hurt because the NBA didn't listen to him.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Two years ago:

"Hey, Shaq. This is Giannis. I want to improve on my free throws. Can you help me?"

"Sure, give me just a minute, I've got Ben on the other line."

Indy likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I read the article in its entirety when it came out a week ago, including the lines from the league.

Did you read the other 80% of the article, including the part about more injuries, more injuries to stars, less rest, less training, etc.?

You telling me to read the article is almost as rich as you claiming I didn’t watch Jordan when you haven’t seen LeBron play more than 5 games in a season in the last 10 years.

Harden’s hamstring isn’t “stepping on an ankle.” Neither is Conley’s injury. Read the article. Soft tissue injuries.

There has been a star player injured on nearly every legitimate title contender during the playoffs this year. LeBron, AD, CP3, Jamal Murray, Kawhi, Mitchell, Harden, Kyrie, Embiid. Even the Bucks lost a starter.

Someone post the meme of the dog surrounded by fire saying “this is fine.”

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He’s not a bad player and still contributes a ton. But man, his shortcomings are infuriating.

12. Ssmiff

Again, not increased, and fewer games during a longer period. Twice as many players didn't miss a game due to injury. But hey, none of the truth matters because lebron said told you so.
    https://www.nba.com/news/nba-says-injury-rate-down-slightly-from-normal

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The article in this post is from mid-April. That was 2 months ago. How on earth can you think that is relevant, now, in mid-June?

You are picking and choosing what you want to read and ignoring the rest. The article you posted pictures from (in post #10281) is literally titled "Data shows NBA injuries up in condensed season," and you're trying to use it as evidence that injuries are normal compared to other seasons.

Even in the specific paragraphs you point out, you're not reading the entire statement, or you're just choosing to be intentionally obtuse. "The average team played 20 fewer games... and had an additional two months off." Why are they focusing on the "average" team? Those aren't the teams being ravaged by injuries, right now, in the post season.

Did it occur to you that not every team going to the bubble has an impact on that? What about the numbers for the teams who played in the bubble and made the playoffs both last year and this year? Why are we even bothering to include teams like the Cavs, who weren't in the bubble, missed the playoffs last year, and missed the playoffs this year, in the "average?" The numbers are watered down.

From the article YOU originally posted:

You're not interested in the truth. You're interested in bashing LeBron, and you'll ignore whatever you have to ignore in order to do so.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, just to reiterate, Rudy Gobert making 3rd team all NBA is a joke, and Ben Simmons should have been the DPOY. It shouldn't be possible to essentially "force" the DPOY out of the game because he can't stay on the floor. That's what small ball does, and it's one of the strategies the Clippers employed last night to beat the Jazz despite missing their best player.

Rudy Gobert is the perfect example of people wanting to believe the numbers rather than their eyes. The numbers say he was the 3rd best player in the NBA this season. Your eyes will tell you a very different story.

15. Ssmiff

Again, You are choosing what to read more than I am and pull out one paragraph to support yourself, versus the multiple ones I posted, including comments regarding more players kept out as precautionary, and previous seasons seeing just as many injuries, as well as fewer severe injuries, fewer games played and more time off over the time frame discussed. For the third time, stepping on an ankle or getting stepped on like kyrie and lebron have freaking nothing to do with overstressed after 71 days off.
    One thing that could have come into play, like Harden fattening up, is players weren't as in good of shape as normal. The woe is me we are mentally drained millionairres playing ball doesn't hold water for me. Some parents work 3 jobs and get little sleep and know what true mental and physical draining means, and complain less than lebrons whiny look at me ass.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And on the flip side of that, how about the big swing and a miss by the Lakers, hiring Frank Vogel two years ago instead of hiring Ty Lue? Sheesh.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You cited an article titled "Data shows NBA injuries up in condensed season," as evidence that injuries aren't up this season. The excerpt I posted was from two separate paragraphs, which you'd know if you read the damn article in its entirety.

You don't understand what the word "average" means, or you're being intentionally forgetful to defend your argument.

You think the NBA and their "internal" statistics are reliable in this discussion because you can't seem to comprehend that, for negotiation purposes, the NBA doesn't want to admit that injuries have been up this season.

Why do you think more players are being kept out as precautionary? What does the word "precautionary" mean to you? Could it have something to do with the increase risk of significant injury that comes with a condensed season?

You don't think stepping on an ankle can be partially attributed to fatigue? In a non-condensed season, LeBron would not have had to come back from his injury as quickly in order to ensure his team makes the playoffs. That means more time for recovery and less chance of reinjury. What about AD's hammy/calf and groin injuries? Harden's Hammy? Conley's Hammy?

Why do you think players might not have been in as good of shape as normal? Could it have anything to do with the shortened offseason? The lack of normal access to facilities?

Stop making it about LeBron and the players. READ YOUR ARTICLE. It cites trainers, GM's, owners, all of whom are pointing out the fatigue and the stress.. FANS are missing out. We had such a great postseason lined up, and it has been absolutely destroyed by injuries. That you can see literally every single contender with a significant injury and still claim "this is normal" just shows how blinded you are by your need to shit on LeBron.

18. Ssmiff

So the nba puts themselves at risk by lying. Ok.
    And they talk about being mentally drained due to covid. Too [uck fay]ing bad. They don't know what mentally drained means. Players held out because they were tired shouldn't count as an injury, but they were, which greatly upped the number as trainers were being more cautious coming out of covid, which in turn meant even more rest than usual for players.
    I dont buy the argument that injuries are up after 71 days off due to the bubble and this season. Period. Why were injuries higher in 2017? What was the excuse then? Did lebron tweet about "should listened to me" then?
    I do believe some increase could occur due to lack of stretching and being out of shape, which has nothing to do with "Rim Rest" and all to to with adapting to the situation and staying stretched and in shape vs sitting around and doing nothing for over 2 months. Btw, ADs nickname was Mr glass before covid. Harden also wasn't 50 lbs overweight, and is already back on the court. Nba has always been a long season and injuries have always happened. Most of the injuries I've seen have zero to due to bodies being too stressed. Usually, plantar issues and stress fractures arise from wear and tear. Havent heard of any stress fractures of the spine, shins or feet, and acl tears happen at all levels and all times during practices and seasons. If they were based on body strain, there would be none in practice or early games in any sport

19. Ssmiff

Btw, twitter shows fans enjoying themselves just fine and don't feel like they are missing out

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No one said the NBA is lying. You are making that up.

There's no point arguing with you. You know better than everyone else, and you're going to believe what you want to believe no matter how much evidence to the contrary I put directly in front of your face.

But I'm glad you've got it all figured out. Hopefully all the players just stretch more this offseason so we don't see as many injuries next year.