The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Watch any level of basketball. If they called carrying no team would ever score

justingroves likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What a choke job.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lakers now have a recent win over the Eastern conference 2 seed, who most believe have the best player in the world, a blowout win over the Western conference 3 seed where AD didn’t play half the game, and a close, OT loss to the Eastern conference 1 seed, that should have been a win in regulation.

Rob Pelinka better make a deal or 2 to make this team a contender. If he holds off on trades or makes the wrong one, they’ve gotta get rid of him. It’s already bad enough that multiple mock trades include players who used to be Lakers. Can’t let him keep making the team worse.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's pretty much the first responsibility of a GM, making sure the journalists are creating interesting enough mock trades, can't believe they still let him in the office

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The point is that multiple players who would fit this team well, guys like Caruso and Kuzma, are guys Pelinka traded away or let walk. Kuzma is a legitimate trade option for them right now. The fact that he traded Kuzma away, and can now only get him back via parting with a first round pick, shows that Pelinka doesn’t know what the [uck fay] he’s doing.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lakers haven’t been the same since glueruso left

7. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

My friends and I were talking about this yesterday, there’s been so much positive buzz around the Lakers and about Russ being a changed man off the bench, then you look and the Lakers are 11-16, Russ is shooting 40% and the team is still starting Lonnie Walker, Schroder and a diminished Pat Bev.

I know they got off to a slow start and have been better since, but the difference between the general buzz and the actual record/stats/roster is still funny.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s not funny or hard to understand if you watch the games.

Westbrook has been significantly better off the bench. He was shooting below 30% as a starter, so to be at 40% for the season now is a drastic improvement. He’s also turning it over less, assisting more, and, for whatever reason, playing better defense. He’s reached the point of not being a net negative, and he might even be a positive. There’s a reason most don’t expect them to trade him now. He’s playing well enough that they don’t feel the need to offload him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually re-signs with them next season, if things keep going as they are now.

Lonnie Walker had played great, and Schroder has been a nice fit as well. Pat Bev has been legit awful (surprise surprise, another Pelinka acquisition sucks), but they’re likely going to move him, along with Kendrick Nunn (at least I hope to god they are).

The hype is based on results. AD has been a [uck fay]ing monster. When Bron and AD both play, the Lakers are beating the teams they’re supposed to and beating/competing with the teams they’re not (Boston, Bucks, Nuggets). There are still obvious holes, but they are winning games and looking better despite that. They truly feel like they’re a couple pieces away from contending, assuming health.

9. NashVol11

I’ve watched them. Russ is still generally bad, just slightly less bad and people are fawning over him. Much like the team

10. NashVol11

And FWIW, I feel better about the team (pre-AD injury) than I do about Russ, but even if we’re extremely generous and throw out the 2-10 start entirely, 10-6 or whatever since then with 3/5 starters who are pretty meh or worse is not scaring anyone IMO, even if LeBron and AD give them a chance against anyone.

Separately, the fact that they know AD’s injury will keep him out at least a month, but won’t say what it is, probably isn’t a great sign

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Slightly isn't really a fair critique, imo. Before they started bringing him off the bench, he looked like he'd be out of the league at the end of the season. He may not be good, but the improvement is more significant than you are giving him credit for.

There's a reason the entire Lakers fan base wanted him traded before, but now most are okay with keeping him for the rest of the season.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I mean, any scenario where the Lakers are a real threat in the playoffs has to include a healthy AD and LeBron. AD's constant nagging injuries are an obvious concern.

The team as constructed is good enough to beat anyone in the league, as we've seen recently, when LeBron and AD are healthy and play well. I don't think they can beat the best teams in the league in a 7 game series, though, which is why the trade is needed. If they dump Nunn and Pat Bev, plus those 2 picks for 2-3 solid role players, I don't think anyone will want to see them in the playoffs (again, assuming everyone's healthy).

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Think about how much respect the Clippers and the Nets are given despite never really accomplishing anything since forming their foundations (KD/Kyrie in Brooklyn, PG and Kawhi in Clippers). Everyone talks about them as contenders year in and year out despite all of Kawhi's injury issues and all of Kyrie's nonsense. And they've never won anything. At least Bron and AD have shown they can win a title when healthy.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's weird how badly people seem to not want to give Giannis another MVP. Straw poll puts Tatum ahead of him.
      • Tatum - 30.2
    • Assists:
      • Giannis - 5.3
      • Tatum - 4.1
    • Rebounds:
      • Giannis - 11.1
      • Tatum - 8.2
    More points, assists, and rebounds, on a team that has 1 less win but also 1 less loss. Oh, and Giannis is also the best defender in basketball (though Tatum is very good as well). And Tatum is enjoying a second star who is scoring 26 a game, while Giannis has been without Middleton most of the season.

15. NashVol11

[​IMG]

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t want to take the time to find the Michael Scott “NOOOOOO!!!!” meme, but that’s how this makes me feel.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, Luka, my god. He’s only 23.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

LeBron, choosing his 38th birthday to show the world he can still be that guy on any given night. 47-10-9 on 67% shooting in a short handed win. Just unreal.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lots of crazy stuff going on right now. Donovan Mitchell went for 71, Klay went for 54, the Nets have won 12 in a row and are 1 game out of first place in the East, and LeBron is playing at an MVP level and has a garbage Lakers roster at 4-5 since AD went out (5-5 if you count the game AD went down early in).

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Might try to be there for the game when LeBron breaks the scoring record. Current prediction is 2/9 in Milwaukee.

Gonna be hard to 100% ensure we are there without buying tickets to multiple games. And they're at Golden State the following game (tickets already $250 each) and @ Portland the game after.