The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

It ain’t happen this year. Two games in a row that they wilted in the second half.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Miami got 16 more possessions with 9 more rebounds and 7 more steals. Can’t give the other team the ball that many more times and get a W very often.

10SEvols and NashVol11 like this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Couldn’t have been Jimmy Butler hitting mid range jumpers down the stretch while Jayson Tatum went a second straight 4th quarter without a bucket.

4. Ssmiff

Yeah 16 more possessions and doubling Tatum had little to do with it.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When did grant Williams become an idiot?

Related - the Celtics know double teaming is allowed, right?

6. Ssmiff

that was a bad move. He had done well all night and a part of a couple big runs doing GWill things. Not sending a double was dumb. Shit try a zone. Heat played zone a lot of the time and had 2 shadowing Tatum

7. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Coaches always say this. Every time. I’m sure there were a lot of similar quotes about Dwane Casey being fired and then it worked out just fine for Toronto

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Who is it that might make the decision to send a double? Or to play zone? Is there someone on the team who is directly responsible for making those sorts of decisions about how the team should play?

But I don’t think doubling is the answer for Jimmy. He’s too smart and too good at passing out of it to open shooters.

9. Ssmiff

You have to send help when somebody is in a zone and taking over the game. Coach can surely call it or you have a player as smart as Santi who doesn’t need Barnes to yell at him to double or at least show double, which he is great at, and disrupts the play either way with a shrinking shot clock.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can’t blame the team for not being prepared to react if/when Jimmy got in a zone and started taking over the game. If only they had 2 days to prepare and a heap of game film to watch, maybe they would have known Jimmy might do that and prepare for it in advance.

11. Ssmiff

Indy. They aren’t 9 year olds. And there’s little to do to stop his baseline fadeaway. It’s a horrible shot for 99% of the nba. His 2nd one on Grant was great defense. He’s just a baller. Him taking and making that shot has nothing to do with Speoeltra calling a play for him.

10SEvols likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Crazy how the Celtics managed to beat the Heat last year, but now there’s nothing that can be done. Almost as if there was a significant change from last year to this year. I wonder what that could be?

It’s like your stance is the coaches have nothing to do with the game whatsoever. And if that’s your stance, I have no idea why you’d be upset when they get fired. They’re being paid millions to do nothing, apparently. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Spo is not directing Jimmy’s every move. But he’s up 2-0 in the ECF while starting 34 year old Kevin Love and two players (Vincent & Strus) with a combined 117 starts in 8 combined NBA seasons. The Celtics roster is light years ahead of what the Heat are putting on the floor each night. I’ve said for years now that Jimmy is better than Tatum. But let’s not pretend the gap is so substantial as to lead to a 2-0 lead going home. Spoelstra is coaching circles around Mazzulla. It’s probably 50% of why they’re in this situation.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'll be shocked if the Lakers don't crush Denver tonight.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, if I’m Denver, I go easy tonight and go all out in game 4. Wouldn’t be surprised if it heads back to Denver 3-1. Just can’t see LeBron having enough in the tank to guard Jokic and still give them what they need offensively.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I wonder if Mo Bamba is actually injured, and, if not, would he be playing some minutes in this series. He could certainly protect the rim and work on the glass while AD guards Jokic. And he also wouldn’t clog the floor on offense.

He hasn’t really played, so it’s not a real thought. But I wonder if he’s the reason they didn’t get a true big.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Jamal Murray still on fire. Trouble.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Jokic hasn’t scored, and the Nuggets were still up 12. Jamal Murray has just been otherworldly.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

11-13, 4-5 from 3, 26 points with 5:30 left in the first.

Lakers are toast if he keeps this up.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How was that shot by Schroder a 2?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

DLo playing himself out of a contract.

Jokic a non factor and it basically doesn’t matter. Lakers can’t stop falling all over themselves.