The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Good. If debating UConn’s blue blood status results in making those coastal elitist yankee nerds at that private school feel insecure about their overall place within the sport, then mission accomplished. [uck fay] Dook.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Again, the discourse in our country is just weird.

Listening to "my" guy, Nick Wright, on his podcast, and he's just saying things that are untrue:
    • He claimed over and over that what Reese and Clark did were the same thing. His son corrected him like, 3 different times that they weren't the exact same thing. If you're wanting to have a serious discussion about what happened, to the point where you're going to devote the first 25 minutes of your podcast to it, you probably should care about getting that part right.

• He claimed something along the lines of "the majority of female basketball players are black, but if you were to put together a top 10 list of the best of all time, it would lean significantly more white than the actual breakdown of the sport. Uhh... the first 2 lists that popped up when I googled it had 3 white women on them, and one of them was Australian (still white, but not homegrown American white). Is 30% really that significant of a number? Google tells me 67% of the WNBA is black/African American. So what the hell is he even talking about?

• Not race related, but he also said the women's game is "better" than the men's game at the collegiate level. Can someone send him that video of Vanderbilt women hitting the underside of the rim on like, 3 straight possessions? I can see and agree with certain aspects of his argument, but come on.

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

This is Final Fours, wins is the same way. I see a clear top 5 but you tell me

Attached Files:

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I've given up on this point. They're clearly not the same thing but everyone has decided that they are. (Ultimately though I think both can say what they want)

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shockingly, being called the same thing and those who mention they aren’t the same is split down racial lines.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

This on going conversation serves as a metaphor on how people are still talking about the women’s title game nationally. It’s like the snooze fest that was the men’s title game didn’t even happen. Pretty cool for the sport of women’s basketball imo.

Also kudos to Caitlyn Clark for doubling down on her indifference/support of Angel’s antics. She has faced the music like a man, no pun/irony intended. Clark may be a lot of things, but being a sore loser front runner seems to not be one of them.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not sure what you mean by this.

8. Ssmiff

pretty much every black person on social media has said they were the same actions and pretty much every white person commenting on social media said they were different.
    But I’m sure race has nothing to do with it…

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Both sides are right and both sides are missing how the other side is right. Reece DID do something clearly more excessive than what Clark did (the little hand wave against SC cited is stupid and the "disrespectful defense" is even stupider.) and is, in general, a shithead and has been for much longer than the one moment. However, there is a double standard quite often in which Clark has been celebrated for her "clap backs" in a way other black athletes are negatively portrayed for doing (I'll not compare her to Reese here, as I noted, she is a regular disrespect artist and even whiner about others.).

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Omfg how does this still have legs?

11. Unimane

Because the men's game sucked so bad.

12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Really this. We have to fill the vacuum somehow as we wrap up all things college basketball for this past season. Talking about grass growing is more interesting of a conversation than dissecting that all time awful men's title bout that unfolded yesterday.

13. Ssmiff

Btw uni saw online tonight Abby ran a sick 2nd leg of 4 x 100 in some event recently.

Unimane likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I literally gave an example earlier in this thread, on this page, even, of a white guy saying they were the same, and a black guy saying they weren’t.

15. Unimane

They killed it in Texas. Aleia Hobbs, Gabby Thomas, and Sha'Carri Richardson, if she can keep her head together, are part of a really solid group of female sprinters after a bit of an American lull. Steiner remains the most interesting because she's no longer getting run into the ground in the college seasons.

Jamaica, though, remains the standard.

16. Unimane

I want to let this go, but her crazy is phenomenal.

17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Lord have mercy. I also thought the FLOTUS idea of inviting the runner-up was silly nonsense myself. However, what a ridiculous way Angel has at interpreting all of this as it relates to going to the White House. Call me an old fashion American, but if I'm ever invited to the WH I would *NEVER* allow my own personal feelings towards whoever the hell happens to be the President at the time sway me from passing up that opportunity. I'm going no matter what. What a tremendous privilege and honor she is shitting on there. Having a chance to see the Oval Office with your own eyes and meet the sitting President would be pretty damn cool to me.

A-Smith likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

She's giving Jill Biden too much credit. Jill Biden probably doesn't know anything about sports culture.

But if I am the Obamas, I say sure come over but we are inviting Jill Biden, lol

NorrisAlan and zehr27 like this.
  19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My only hope would be that having the two teams visit doesn’t take away from the privilege previous teams had of being served fast food on their White House visits.

20. Ssmiff

Ready for her 15 minutes to be up. She does nothing but show disrespect after complaining about disrespect and needs to be knocked down a few rungs