The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No way. I know you MMA guys like to believe a boxer would just fall apart when they get their hands on them, but dude was super quick with fantastic timing and really good at controlling the clench. I guaran-damn-tee you it would not be an easy deal for McGregor or anyone else in the octogon.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Probably right on the last part, guys with zero boxing experience tend to be at the mercy of the highly trained professional.

3. GahLee

Pretty easy to control clench when you can't do anything but throw punches and the ref is about 2 seconds from breaking it up. Things change when elbows, knees, takedowns, submissions and no safety net from the ref are introduced.

How many leg kicks you think Floyd has ever defended? Those chicken legs could probably handle a few before he looked like the Karate Kid out there.

Just as Conor told him in the first presser, "If this were a real fight, you'd be dead already."

4. Unimane

Yes, but a guy like Mayweather is there to win the fight by outpointing you, not dominating you. He's there to turn you against yourself, using your aggressive to his advantage and winning over the course of the fight. GGG, Canelo Alvarez, a prime Pacquiao, were there to destroy you. McGregor had about as perfect a situation he could ever imagine last night with an old fighter who wasn't going to put him in real danger despite the Irishman's inexperience, making him look like he somewhat belonged and make a shit ton of money. Zero problem with this situation for McGregor and he should take his barrel of money off into the sunset away from boxing because he'd only be able to fight high quality boxers from this point on and he's not prepared for that sort of challenge if he, eventually, has to fight a guy with heavy hands. Perhaps he can get Joe Calzaghe out of retirement and let that slappy handed fighter out point him for 12 rounds for a bit of cash since Calzaghe is huge in the UK.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  5. Unimane

I'm sure he wouldn't just show up not having done any kind of prep. I'm not saying he'd have won, but he wouldn't be completely devoid of ability. Plus, punching is still allowed in MMA, right? I'd wager he'd be good at that part, as the guys go in for a take down attempt.

6. GahLee

That's because in all likelihood, they would. Quickly. Get in clench asap, take him down, transition and submit or ground and pound. It wouldn't take a world class BJJ black belt to do it. Conor is well below average in grappling and submitting and he's be able to do it with ease. Against any boxer within his size.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  7. GahLee

One camp isnt going to prepare anyone for that. We just witnessed that yesterday. Hed have a hard time landing punches while getting his legs battered or getting his head punted off his shoulders.

A guy like Tyson would knock heads in a UFC setting but he's an anomaly. Even then, if he got taken down it's game over right then and there.

A soft hitting counter punching boxer is going to have a real hard time not getting his arm snapped.

8. Unimane

With ease? Doubtful. I remember the same shit was said about Rhonda Rousey when she fought former boxer Holly Holm and she dealt with the former Judo Olympic medalist just fine.

9. Unimane

Mayweather still hits harder than most MMA guys, certainly with more pop than McGregor last night and certainly ten years ago in his prime. He'd be dangerous. Didn't McGregor have a recent fight that lasted about 15 seconds when he caught the guy on the chin?

10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Ok. How many of McGregor's recent MMA opponents have lost within minutes?

How many of Floyd's recent boxing opponents have been knocked out?

11. GahLee

With a head kick. Great example.

12. GahLee

Yeah, because the guy ran straight at Conor like an animal and Conor timed it perfectly. That was almost a fluke. And nobody would rush a boxer like that. No need to.

13. GahLee

His punches were only harder after Conor was gassed.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Vs a boxer? You are nuts. Mma fighter gets inside and gets it to the ground or takes the back and every fight is over in less than a minute, unless they get caught coming in. Boxer has a shot at 1 or 2 punches then it's over.

15. Unimane

Jesus, it's this type of arrogance I can't stand from the MMA folks. Everybody's just putty in their hands once they get their paws on a boxer. I guarantee it wouldn't be that easy.

16. Unimane

But, she got her hands on her! How could a former boxer manage to cope with such a situation?

17. Unimane

His punches were always harder. McGregor had no pop on his punches, which is why Mayweather used little of his defensive tool box.

18. GahLee

Because Holm is much more than just a boxer. That's just part of her training. She's also a champion kickboxer and has had extensive training in other diciplines.

19. GahLee

And it's this type of ignorance we can't stand.

20. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Two things I would say to MMA fans:

1. That Saturday night was not at all a back-and-forth struggle between two evenly matched boxers

2. Mayweather's MMA fight likely wouldn't last as long, because most of McGregor's MMA fights are short. It's the norm. Most of Mayweather's boxing matches go the distance, which is his norm. If you're going to claim moral victory for McGregor almost reaching the norm, then Mayweather's fans will be able to do the exact same thing even if he only lasts for 1 minute.