The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If I'm not mistaken, Mayweather wouldn't agree for himself to be subjected to the same testing, which is total bullshit. If you look at common opponents, Pacquiao obliterated Cotto knocking him down twice before the bout was stopped. Mayweather won by unanimous decision in what all analysts described as a good fight. Mayweather fought De La Hoya in 2007 and won by split decision. Pacquiao fought De La Hoya in 2008 and absolutely beat his ass into retirement. And, I believe Pacquiao proposed a 45-45 split with the final ten going to the winner and Mayweather still turned that down. To me, it appears Mayweather is looking for excuses not to fight, and I think Pacquiao is the more dominant fighter right now.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

de la Hoya's take on Floyd Mayweather is interesting given de la Hoya gave him one of the better fights of his career.

de la Hoya's take on Pac-man is right on, too. Mayweather doesn't make mistakes in the ring. Manny is wild in the ring, but quick, and strong, and that covers up his mistakes. Mayweather would expose him imo.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

De La Hoya sure had a lot harder time hitting Pacquiao than Mayweather. I think Mayweather's an all-time great, no doubt. I don't think he's fighting at the same level Pacquiao is, and I think he knows it and will avoid the fight.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, de la Hoya was two years older and retired after that fight and arguably Pac was at the top of his game, or close to it. By no stretch do I think Mayweather is a slam dunk winner. But he presents challenges for sure.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Mayweather might very well win the fight, but I think Pacquiao is more dominant. I wouldn't put it past Mayweather to outsmart with a gameplan.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think people getting caught up in the idea that Manny refused to agree to a test are missing Pacquiao's perspective, or anyone's for that matter. Have you ever been accused of something and then told "prove it"? What's the first response? How about "go [uck fay] yourself"? I'm sure, in Pacquiao's mind, he was being called out and put into a corner to take extra tests because some asshole thinks he's cheating. Finally, he agrees and now it's the 50-50 issue, even though Pacquiao's PPV buys are slightly higher recently. The reason this fight would be the biggest ever is due to both fighters, so 50-50 is eminently reasonable.

As for the fight, I think I would put money on Money, but Pacquiao does have a style that could give Mayweather trouble, plus he's a lefty and that would negate some of the defensive advantages that Mayweather has from his shoulder roll. I think it would be a decision for Mayweather. However, if Mayweather fights like he did against Cotto, meaning a more open fight and willing to trade more, he might find himself in a tougher position.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Mayweather 3 years ago beats pacquiao. now i'd say it's up for grabs.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

(1) Or it could be that he's actually on drugs.

(2) Pacquiao's style was meant for Mayweather. Mayweather is the best counterpuncher the fight game has ever seen and Pacquiao will come right at him. Pac will throw that lunging straight left hand; he'll miss; and Mayweather will hit him about four times before he realized what happened.

9. kidbourbon

You're mistaken.

10. kidbourbon

What about Juan Manuel Marquez?

What about Shane Mosley?

11. anyone see that bailey KO? a thing of absolute beauty.

12. My prediction: Pacquiao's head isn't in it and Bradley wins by decision.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wish i could watch this fight

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Knowing the potential pay day at stake in an eventual Pacquiao/Mayweather fight, I don't think there's any way that Manny loses a decision. He'd have to get knocked out.

15. You can watch it online here for free
    Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley Live Stream Online

You may be correct.

16. Bradley isn't nearly as gifted but he is a tough son of a [itch bay].

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Agreed. Thanks for the link, btw.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Bradley can't evade the onslaught, and he almost doesn't even seem to try. Money would dodge that shit and counter all night, iyam, tfwiw, gbo.

19. It's looking like my prediction couldn't have been shittier. Bradley has no pop to his punches.

20. Manny is slowing down but I don't think Bradley is good enough to take advantage.