The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, tough shit because it's true. You all are the ones spouting about "real fighting" and the incapability of anyone to possibly cope with grappling, as if it were some magical, mystical ability no other type of fighter could hope to deal with for more than a few seconds. The point I'm making is that an MMA guy would have more of a challenge on their hands than you all fan boys are willing to concede.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

1. Duh
    2. He wouldn't last long against any MMA fighter, not just Conor. And of he got knocked out or choked out in a minute I doubt any boxing fan is saying "see, told ya so."

3. GahLee

We won't concede because it's ****ing lunacy. Take grappling out completely. Make it strikes only. The boxer is getting beat up.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I agree. That's pretty much how I feel about MMA fans saying "See, told ya so" after he achieved the worst boxing result in at least a decade against Floyd.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Strikes only? So, the people who make a living punching people would be at a disadvantage?

6. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Bunch a VN moral victories up in herrrrr

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its not arrogance man. Boxer has a small window to land a punch but a wrestler, jiujitsu/mma fighter is going to get it to the ground immediately and a boxer is done. There are 100 takedowns those guys know. Really, a 30 yr old bjj blue belt from the local gym would choke or arm bar a pro boxer with ease.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

growing up and watching kids fight or getting in a couple, nobody wanted to mess with the kids that wrestle. That will never change, especially when you add being able to grab and arm and snap it, an ankle, or choke.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. How many times does the ref need to pull the mma fighter off the boxer before you realize the entire way a boxer defends would be the same as a standing fetal position in mma?

Go ahead, lower and cradle your head. Go ahead, wrap your arms around the other guy's arms. See what happens.

Mayweather would be running backwards the whole round.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many times did mayweather show his back as a defensive move? Gee, that'd be a hell of a defense in mma.

This is the downside of this fight taking place. A man on his feet was ruled a "knockout" and boxing apologists think that is going down as a plus in the neutral observer's eyes? That a nonboxer lasted 30 minutes and won rounds against the best ever, before being informed that he was not allowed to continue?

Tell me more about point fighting. Super impressive fight. It's like you're arguing fencing is superior to a sword fight.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

McGregor boxed before becoming a plumber then going to mma

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's how Mayweather boxes.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think this fight proved anything on either side. I prefer MMA as far as actual combat sport, I admit, but this was a prime fighter against a 40 year old punched out dude who made a living at dragging fights to decisions and winning on points. It went pretty much as I expected it to go.

Like arguing about baseball and cricket. Both use bats, but completely different athletes and ways to manage the game.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

there are plenty of boxers that could have finished Conor much sooner than Floyd did.

15. GahLee

I know. A guy like Lomachenko would really embarrass Conor. Or any MMA fighter.

16. GahLee

If the blue belt could avoid getting his brains knocked out on the way in, sure.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup.

18. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

This.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm more of a boxing fan, and I agree with this. I'm not so sure I'd call Mayweather exactly "punched out", but otherwise spot on. I'd like to see them match up in a MMA match, but primarily because of its novelty.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Mayweather exploits the rules of boxing to favor himself more than probably anyone ever, so he'd probably be among the worst boxers you could throw in an MMA match.