The Overwhelming Negativity...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Jul 21, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Of this board is exhausting.

Most of you would love to see UT falter in hopes that we can have a coaching change. As if there is a savior waiting to jump on board.

I'm not sold on Dooley by any means and this year will be the true test among his years here but to continually post bullsh!t rhetoric in every thread concerning UT football makes most here seem like a scorned woman.

Most of you got booted from VN, most of you hate Dooley and it shows in almost every post.

For a place that takes pride in its posters acumen one would expect a differing opinion now and again. Instead the entire board feeds off one another and has become a pool of filth as far as opinions are concerned.

I for one hope that the majority of this board has got to come to the counter and eat a shitburger, as Hat put it.

End rant.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There definitely is a more negative tone on this board than most, but the beauty of this board is that if you don't have or share that opinion, tell the person you don't. Explain why you're not negative; explain why their point sucks. The beauty of this board is that, no matter the overall tone, you're free to take your position, as you just have, and defend it. And, that's a total credit to Tenny and the mods.

Now, I mentioned in another thread pretty much this point that this forum is too overrun with over the top negativity to the point that I don't visit it very often. However, I think I was wrong in saying that. If the posters don't want negativity, post something positive, debate the negative posts. I think all of that's welcome here, and that's why it's the best message board I've encountered yet.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If you'd like to see some disagreements, feel free to check out The Official 8th Maxim's NCAA 13 SEC Online Dynasty thread in the gaming forum or one of the many threads focused on politics, religion, etc in the Checkerboard.

As for the general opinion of Dooley on this site, feel free to point out all the reasons you make you feel kuj3 we should be optimistic about him being at the head of our football program.

Most of us were booted from toos because we got tired of everyone accepting this new found mediocrity of our football program.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The mods of this site have made it very clear that any opinion is welcome here, but you better be able to back it up if you don't want to get eaten alive. I think when it comes down to it, you can't really back up a positive opinion of Dooley right now.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This is the first and hopefully only time that I agree totally with Indy on a subject.

6. GahLee

I can agree with most of that, especially the over the top part.
    I expect to be torn apart for this thread, as much as this board prides itself
    on individualism, most here are sheep. Moreso than the dummies that post on VN.

Posters just fall in line so they can be accepted by the so called elite.

I appreciate being able to voice my true opinion here I really do, I feel as though most don't, they just want to be part of the "in" crowd, which is absolutely pathetic.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wow, this is the first time I have posted something non-moronic in like 2 or 3 months.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You won't get ripped apart if you can provide reasons why people shouldn't be negative. This board respects those that can back up their opinions and arguments. As far as the falling in line thing goes, I haven't been posting much lately so I don't have a great opinion on the subject, but I never got that feeling back when I used to post a lot more.

9. GahLee

I'm not a real supporter of his. I support UT but I'm able to separate the two.
    Still yet, when something positive happens there is always a negative response. I personally think its holding the board back.

Responses aren't immediate here but are usually worth reading to a certain extent. Every thread concerning UT football has become predictable though.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think you are misreading the board. I think most on here legitimately feel that Dooley is going to fail and legitimately don't like the man at all. But, at the same time, there have been some ridiculously over the top threads that many of those same people conceded was, in fact, over the top. Also, there's another thread on here where people, by all accounts, who don't like Dooley were praising his performance at SEC Media Days.

I don't think there's much of a clique on here. Dooley just happens to be a subject where many of the posters share the same opinion. You want to see some arguments? Check out the Checkerboard.

11. GahLee

It's not like I want to slurp Dooley off. The guy in all likelihood is a decent coach at a top ten program.

It's the constant badgering that has grown to be repetitive.

I know " it's all part of the process".

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd like to hear some reasons to feel good about Dooley.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think most people on here feel they have seen enough to know that Dooley isn't going to win a championships here. While some people may be okay with average, or even a little above average production, many of us still believe UT is a championship caliber program. Personally, my opinion is this: if we know Dooley isn't the answer, we need to search elsewhere for it. Do I want us to suck this year so he gets fired? Hell no! Will it at least numb the pain of another awful season if he gets fired? Probably so. The problem is that there are so many different opinions for what has to happen in order for him to keep his job. My opinion is that if he wins less than 8 games, he needs to be out of here, and I'd really like to see 9+. The problem is that posivols don't have this high of standards set for him. We will never achieve anything here if we set such low expectations for ourselves and accept mediocrity.

14. GahLee

Most here "know" he will fail.

I'm not sure he is worth the salt on my baked potato. I'm certainly not advocating bling faith but Jesus Christ is there anyone here that a smidgen of hope?

It certainly doesn't seem that way.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think we are still waiting for you to show us what has happened during Dooley's tenure that should give us a smidgen of hope.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You're out of your **** mind if you think people here fall in line to be accepted by the "elite". I fought with hat for years over Pearl and Law can attest to myself going at it with others, just as many here do. There are better, more intelligent and no holds barred conversations here that would never be allowed on VN or VQ, but are quite enjoyable and challenging.

The reason many of us left is to get away from the baloney of the kind you put into the first post, stating that we hope UT to falter because we hate Dooley. It was that kind of simple-mindedness that permeates the average Vol board, expecting everyone to fall in lock step with the program, not questioning anything, that drove us here. We don't want Dooley to falter, we already think he is. The truly pathetic part is thinking that you have to put out some phony display of solidarity with a shitty coach in order to be a "good fan". A good fan has the best interests of the program in mind and, if that includes wanting a bad coach gone, then that's what they'll push for.

Besides, I don't know why anyone would think a collection of UT fans would want UT to fail in order for a, supposedly, good coach to get fired. It's nonsensical. That's just something people who equate being a good fan with sticking your head in the sand while the program falters around you say in order to justify lowering their standards for an inadequate coach.

Of course, if I'm wrong about Dooley, then so be it. UT's success is the primary objective anyway.

17. GahLee

People that want to throw out the roster and overall morale of the program when he arrived need to see Jim Jones.

It was as much of a dumpster fire as you will ever see at a major program.

With that said I truly believe that he has earned a year three to be judged. I honestly believe that disagreeing is beyond foolish. The roster and competition were too much.

This years roster is by far the best that has been since he has been here. Thus I expect the best results since his hire.

Again, I'm not sold on him in the least bit but I have been holding judgement for two years now and now he has enough talent and depth to compete in every game and put up a good number of wins.

Even if he does so, I believe there will be a legion of posters here that don't care.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think it's fantasy right now to begin making predictions that Dooley's going to win big here. I think the chances are much greater that he'll fail than he'll be successful. There are numerous obvious arguments that can be made to back all of this up. There's really nothing, at this point, to make me optimistic about Dooley's chances. With that said, I don't hate the man nor hope he fails. But, until he shows that he can coach worth a ****, I don't see how anyone can really believe in him.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bravo, Unimane. I don't agree with some things said here, but the point of a message board is not to hold hands and sing kumbaya.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UT lost to teams with worse problems. UK football, for example, is UK football. You don't earn shit when you lose those games and get your brains beat in by the elites. Who is confident in a coach whose team squeaks by a 4-8 UAB team in OT? Hell, if everyone were to judge him over this year and the cake schedule that UT has then people will be nominating him for the HOF if UT can take advantage.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012