The Paths to a Bowl in Year 1

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 13, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

We just went from having only a couple of paths to 6 wins to being able to realistically get as many as 8 wins.

On paper, Auburn is better than everyone left but Bama. Ya, they've played poorly, but they are still comparable or better to everyone else left.

A win over Charlotte, plus 2 more from South Carolina/Kentucky/Mizzou/Vanderbilt makes anything less than 6 wins a collapse, imo.

A-Smith likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not sure I’d say collapse. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us as underdogs in 3/4. But the path is there. Last week, we were looking at 4-8. This week, 4-8 is still on the table, but 8-4 is just as likely

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know about a collapse. I wouldn't bet on UT in any of those four.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

4-8 would be really surprising. Especially since we have decent depth at QB.

5. Tar Volon

We won’t be +3 in turnovers every week, but there’s not a team we play after Oct 20 that we can’t beat with a good, clean game, even without a heap of good fortune

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. Tar Volon

8-4 would be really surprising too. I think right now anything from 5-7 to 7-5 seems totally reasonable, with 8-4 if everything goes right and 4-8 if everything goes wrong

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

What lost us the WVU and UF games was not present in this game. If we are able to hit some big plays and be positive on turnovers, we are going to win some games down the stretch.

A-Smith, TDVol1989 and justingroves like this.
  8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Just get 6.

Then we can have a nice little party in the Liberty Bowl.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's like the team and the coaching staff are all coming together!

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm bullish. I think SCAR may be reeling by the time we get them. I think Vandy and/or mizzou could run out of steam. Kentucky looks to be the real deal to me, so that will be a challenge no matter what happens.

11. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We've still really only got one real threat at RB and a paper thin defense.

13. Tar Volon

But Kentucky does dumb crap against us just like we do against Florida.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Roper still his OC?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The defense is what concerns me the most. I think the running game's issues are more blocking than anything, and it has been steadily improving.

Auburn was playing great run defense today. So will Bama, SCAR, and UK. We will have more success against the like of Mizzou and Vandy.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Blocking is the major problem, but we have two RBs that can hit the hole when it is there. Of those two, only one can hang onto the ball.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

No, Bryan McClendon is.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, got to work on that. But we do have another 2 backs that are able to hold on to the ball and may yet get it together.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, Muschamp promoted Bryan McClendon to oc. Pruitt interviewed him for a job here, he got the oc title to stay there.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Tim Jordan might be Raijon Neal reincarnate and Madre London might be a slightly better Jabari Davis.