The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 16, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. That's a really poor performance on Tennessee's part. There were absolutely no positives in the first half.
    2. The effort was better in the second half. The execution was not.
    3. Jarnell Stokes is being really tested for the first time in his college career. Everyone is keying on him and he's got to adjust to that attention.
    4. The wing play was dismal. Jordan McRae attacking the rim and getting to the foul line in the second half was the only real positive.
    5. Phillip Jurick outplayed Stokes and Kenny Hall. That's completely
    unacceptable.
    6. Marcus Smart is an NBA player in waiting. Le'Bryan Nash is talented, but Smart is easily the best player on that team.
    7. Today showed once again how imperative it is for UT to find someone to play competent backup minutes at the point. When Trae Golden left the game with his second foul, Tennessee completely unraveled.
    8. Getting the early lead allowed Oklahoma State to play their small lineup and spread the floor. Tennessee will see a lot of teams attempt to mirror that gameplan because it neutralizes Stokes and, whenever he returns, Jeronne Maymon.
    9. Tennessee needs to be more aggressive offensively early in the shot clock. They were getting too deep into possessions before they attacked the basket and that led to a lot of forced perimeter prayers.
    10. All is not lost on this trip. A win Sunday puts Tennessee at 3-1 without one of their best players and with a number of guys still trying to learn their roles.

2. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Who you got Sunday? Im guessing loser of another game today?

3. hatvol96

NC State v. UMASS loser.

4. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Good news is no matter which team you play, It will still be a decent opponent. NC State would probably be the better of the two.

5. UT2012

UT2012 New Member

Competent guard play, we no haz it.

6. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

That is a tough loss to take. I'm not sure what it means for this season, if anything. Luckily, I forgot that they were even playing until about 30 minutes ago and found the result. Is Oklahoma State any good or did UT just not show up?

7. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I will be very surprised if UT isn't playing UMass next.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

point 9 was driving me nuts. It's the Pearl approach to offense.

9. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

I thought the movement was better than Pearl era basketball, even during that stretch. As oppose to passing it strictly around the perimeter, guys were moving in and out. We just never took it inside. The end result was definitely the same.

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

It kills me when Stokes isn't able to finish down low.

11. hatvol96

At least Baylor lost. Got to always find the silver lining.

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I won't be at all surprised when you're very surprised.

13. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Not catching the game and seeing the final score of 45 points paints the picture pretty well of how ugly it apparently was. Ack.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That isn't surprising that you will be not surprised by his surprise.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You could see this coming with the two less than impressive performances before today. I still have my concern that we have a solid, but unspectacular, coach in Martin. Today was simply awful against a decent, but nothing particularly special, Ok. State team with the disparity in talent pretty disturbing. We still have too many mediocre players on the roster.

16. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Excellent analysis Hat.

IMO, the play today could have been a loss to Austin Peay. Pathetic play in the first half, when you have 7 points with 8 minutes to go. Okie State only had 14 at the same point and were kicking it around. UT looked so flat, like they had hangovers. No penetration - a lot of perimneter passing deep into the clock then a missed jumper and no rebound. They need to get McBee and McRae free with some off ball screens and run more of the offense through them until they get some flow. Will take the pressure off Stokes. The permanent cure is Maymon.

17. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

didn't the vols lose to the moccasins last year?
    We just lost to a decent team not the end of the world!
    Remember this is a baseball school !

18. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

That that seemed to be the only in state team that UT didn't lose to last year. Austin Peay, Memphis twice, Vanderbilt, and MTSU all won. ETSU and Chattanooga were the only two on the schedule that didn't beat UT. Vanderbilt was a split. If it is any consolation, the Lady Vols just lost to Chattanooga for the first time since the early 70s. I am still thinking that the men's basketball team could have an excellent season, but that is my own speculation. Is there any sport that this school is clearly good at as of today? Softball?

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I don't known if I would consider Oklahoma state a "decent" team though. They aren't very good.

20. hatvol96

If they get healthy, they'll be in the NCAAs. Just saying.