The Quarterback position at the University of Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Thoughts?

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Better than it's being made out to be.

4. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

It's going to cause a few headaches to say the least

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it is fraught with peril

6. powert2523

powert2523 New Member

Hoping for 6-6.

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Doug Mathews said that Worley had been the best so far, and also the position wasn't as bad as had been made out.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

OP makes me sad

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Bray had a few moments...Crompton was a pleasant surprise for a bit in '09...Ainge and Schaeffer combined for a little excitement in '04...but no has really had command of the position and earned the confidence of the fan base since Casey. At least for me.

More than a decade of iffy to awful QB play.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

Ainge had a couple of pretty good years, especially after his big turd in '05. But he wasn't as dependable as Clausen.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Ainge put 50 on Georgia in 06, but not too memorable otherwise. Obviously, much much better than what we have now though.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

yeah he was mostly solid, not spectacular

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

How awesome would it be to have Erik Ainge this year?

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yah, yah, yah.

Bent Schaeffer.

15. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

And in others news:

Frosh defenders seem to be developing. Barnett is barging through but at a mere 267lbs I wonder how he will do against the mammoth SEC defense lines.

SIGH! Dobbs man or not, believer in Worley or not, it sounds like neither is progressing. Nat appears at this time to be the better bet. I also wonder if this is just BS by the choice to sucker USU into coming in thinking they can pretty much ignore the QB and focus on the RBs, only to be scorched by the QB-WRs batteries doing bombing runs.

Medley isn’t making a mess but where’s Brodus, is he still on the team seeing as no mention was made of him? Darr is getting more daring. I don’t like how he said have a good season with THIS team as opposed to OUR team.

A Berry is ripening but not quite ready to pick.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/aug/08/freshman-barnett-having-tremendous-camp-for-vols/

Coleman is heating up at RT, putting smoke in DEs eyes despite leaking from time to time.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/aug/08/vols-coleman-thomas-settling-in-at-tackle/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Solid would be awesome at this point.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

With a Bray or Ainge at QB this is an 8 or 9 win team. Especially since this staff doesn't consistently abandon the run. This WR corps has a more diverse range of skill set than the 2006 one. 2006 didn't have a North or Pearson type, and it certainly didn't have a dynamic slot like Howard, although Swain was reliable. And honestly the depth is better too. Imagine 2012 with Rogers and you can see what Bray would be doing with this squad.

18. KenTenn

Maybe. I'm beginning to float toward the side of those who think we need a bona fide QB developer. Half of me wants to believe, does believe this QB woes are just misdirection for a dangerous USU team. But a big part of me is saying when you can't develop decent talent, which I believe all three QBs had. One was Gatorade Player of the Year. One was good enough for Butch to recruit while at CIncinnati. One was an Elite 11 QB desired by the likes of Arizona. And none of them progressing at the UT? Just doesn't smell right.

19. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

The qbs are doing so bad because our defense is very good.

#orangekoolaid #vfl #volsbutch

20. KenTenn

Would love to believe that. And it could be (didn't say "is") possible. Saw some talk about the USU Heisman candidate QB throwing pick 6's in practices at a 3 a day clip two days running. The claim is that the CBs are better than anticipated. So who knows, might be ours are all that much better. Would love to believe that.