The Reading Rainbow Book Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by chavisut, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I went to McKay's last night and bought 5 books for $23. The place is like crack in a building and it's lucky I live on the other side of town from it.

chavisut and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The “new” Knoxville location is much bigger and nicer but I liked the location of the old one better. I’d be out and about and just stop in on a whim. Don’t really do that any more

3. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I just picked up Debt: the first 5,000 years by David Graeber. I’ll start on it when my wifi inevitably seizes up (f comcast).

I couldn’t resist the purchase after coming across this excerpt:

“Freuchen tells how one day, after coming home hungry from an unsuccessful walrus-hunting expedition, he found one of the successful hunters dropping off several hundred pounds of meat. He thanked him profusely. The man objected indignantly:
    "Up in our country we are human!" said the hunter. "And since we are human we help each other. We don't like to hear anybody say thanks for that. What I get today you may get tomorrow. Up here we say that by gifts one makes slaves and by whips one makes dogs.
    ... The refusal to calculate credits and debits can be found throughout the anthropological literature on egalitarian hunting societies. Rather than seeing himself as human becausehe could make economic calculations, the hunter insisted that being truly human meant refusing to make such calculations, refusing to measure or remember who had given what to whom, for the precise reason that doing so would inevitably create a world where we began "comparing power with power, measuring, calculating" and reducing each other to slaves or dogs through debt. It's not that he, like untold millions of similar egalitarian spirits throughout history, was unaware that humans have a propensity to calculate. If he wasn't aware of it, he could not have said what he did. Of course we have a propensity to calculate. We have all sorts of propensities. In any real-life situation, we have propensities that drive us in several different contradictory directions simultaneously. No one is more real than any other. The real question is which we take as the foundation of our humanity, and therefore, make the basis of our civilization.”
    ― David Graeber, Debt: The First 5,000 Years

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Can't Hurt Me, David Goggins

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like Goggins.

he’s a crazy bastard for sure. I love Cam Hanes telling the story of running a marathon with him in the woods and Goggings breaking down before he went super hero mode and running by them screaming you don’t know me.

6. CardinalVol

Reading Wooden by Seth Davis. 150 pages into it, and it's really good.

7. CardinalVol

I more or less detest Seth Davis, but this is as good of a bio as I have ever read. Highly recommend.

8. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

His Bird and Magic book is really good as well. I don’t particularly like him on television, because he comes across as smug as hell, but he’s a very good writer.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I read American Gods at the beach. Cracked me up that the final showdown took place at Rock City

10. CardinalVol

Reading The League about the formation of the NFL. Really good.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

I finally gave in and started the Wheel of Time. I read the first one years ago but I just needed to start over. I have always been hesitant to make the commitment

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

some irony going on with book title and your story

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Good luck. I tried Eye of the World about four times, couldn't do it.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Audio book of WOT is pretty good. Don't have time to read anything that long any more

15. JohnnyQuickkick

Its going pretty easy. Easier than I remember the first time.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just don't understand how you cannot tell a story in less than 12,000 pages.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There’s just a lot of detail and minimal waving of hands saying time has passed. You pretty much experience the bulk of it. I don’t mind it if the author is any good, granted there is a pretty big drop off when Sanderson takes over to finish the last books.

18. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I made it halfway through the fifth book. It’s such a slog but the endings are always incredible. I’ll finish them all one of these days.

People keep telling me to read the red rising series. Anyone into it?

emainvol likes this.
  19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Been reading some Cormac McCarthy

The Road and No Country are killer

All The Pretty Horses is an easy must read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Haven’t read Red Rising but several people told me it’s great

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    Volsdude likes this.