The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Dec 30, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. I'm always impressed by the teamwork of vocal ensembles like the Knox Chamber Choral. Tonight, their work was a harbinger of things to come.
    2. That's easily the best performance in a nonconference game of Cuonzo Martin's tenure. There's really not a close second.
    3. Tennessee's defense on Joe Harris was superb. The Virginia star never had room to breathe.
    4. The guys who put in the work are ultimately the ones who grow their games. Josh Richardson is a perfect example of that.
    5. Jeronne Maymon didn't have a huge scoring night, but his activity and energy were keys to UT's performance. He looks a little more healthy each time out.
    6. Jordan McRae makes it look very easy when he is hitting his outside shot. If defenders have to respect his jumper, they can't keep him out of the lane.
    7. Antonio Barton bounced back with his best game in a month. I wonder if seeing Trae Golden's game winner all over TV today lit a fire under him.
    8. Jarnell Stokes played under control and passed better out of double teams than usual. It opened up his own offensive game.
    9. Robert Hubbs just can't seem to get on track offensively. He did play very well on the defensive end.
    10. Great performance, but it's one game. I'll wait for some consistency before I get too bullish on this team's future.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Didnt see the game.
    Good to hear a positive report. Hope it's a building block.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How good is Virginia, in your opinion?

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Any chance Hubbs gets frustrated and transfers Hat? I've heard some buzz that he's not happy.

5. hatvol96

Much better than they played tonight. I'll be surprised if they aren't in the discussion for a tournament bid come Selection Sunday.

6. hatvol96

I'd be surprised if he's frustrated enough to sit out a year. Also, he'll get all the shots and playing time he wants next season.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt pissed off after watching that. Obviously, this team has the talent. But, I have no confidence that tonight was anything but a reminder of how good we can be, and we'll continue for the rest of the season to see the team we've been seeing prior to tonight.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

That's my concern as well. It's going to take a bunch of performances like last nights to wash out that bad taste from the eggs they've laid so far.

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Well said.

All we can hope is that someone rises up and carries this team because Cquonzo just plain sucks as a coach.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I predict:

1. A double-digit seed and a very quick exit in the Tourney (first or second round)
    2. Cuonzo is back for at least one more season.

Rinse. Repeat.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We are going to need 12 conference wins IMO, at minimum.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

meh. We shot the lights out. Every coach / team looks good when shots fall. Effort picks up when guys are scoring too. Coaching happens when that isn't there.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree. That's why I think this is a one hit wonder.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Gonna have to see them win some games where the basket doesn't seem like an long bed pick up before I go that far.

The margin of error got erased very early.

15. BigOrangeBeech

I will predict this team will be down to having to win 2 games in the SEC tourney to get in. It won't happen. NIT bound and Qunzo will be job huntin.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I don't think we'll see a change unless we're clearly on the wrong side of the bubble. This is the same AD who would've kept #ddiapos for another year had he posted one more win than he did.

17. BigOrangeBeech

OK let me fix my own post. Cuonzo "should" be job hunting.

If this team can't make the field of 68 there's no reason for him to be back.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I've been saying this to all the Bajakian & Jancek defenders for months.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Exactly.

Forget about Cuonzo. Fire Dave Hart. And Jimmy Cheek. And Susan Martin.

20. hatvol96

If they miss the field and he's retained, I'll draw an FCC fine on the show.