The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 30, 2014.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Kudos to the students. They showed up in far larger numbers than I expected tonight.
    2. Jordan McRae bounced back well from Saturday's disaster. His consistently the rest of the season will determine the offense's effectiveness.
    3. That is as well as UT has passed the ball under Cuonzo Martin. It's no coincidence they got great shots all night.
    4. Josh Richardson needs to have more confidence in his offensive game. He too often lets a couple of misses make him tentative.
    5. Jeronne Maymon looked like the player he was before his injury. That's the best job of finishing plays he's done all year.
    6. Marshall Henderson is the most entertaining player in college basketball and nobody is close. I'll take him on my team every day.
    7. Good to see the dance team do a routine to Bell Biv Devoe. Soon, they'll actually start using music from the 21st century.
    8. Ole Miss sorely misses Murphy Holloway and Reginald Buckner. They were the guts of that team last season.
    9. Darius Thompson is going to be a very good player. If he learns how to handle pressure from quicker players, he could be an all conference caliber performer.
    10. One down, three to go. All of tonight's good work is wiped out if they go to Tuscaloosa and play poorly.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

How did Stokes play Hat?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

#7, I swear they can do whatever song they want and every damn routine looks the same to me

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Enjoyable game. Nice 3 pt shooting and went inside when we needed to stop the Marshall-fueled Ole Miss run. Loved that assist from Thompson to Maymon early in the 2nd half. Beautiful pass. Just a solid game.

5. hatvol96

He was good. Ole Miss had no answers inside.

6. TennTradition

Stokes continues to deliver. He was the only warm body in Gainesville.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Why would you want Henderson? Sub 40% shooter that is equally bad at every other aspect of the game. Don't get it.

8. hatvol96

Yet, everywhere he plays the team suddenly wins more than before he got there. Also, he's tied for sixth in the SEC in steals and has decent assist numbers for a guy whose major job is to run around screens and shoot. Since most of his shots are 3s, hovering around 40% makes for a reasonable Effective FG%.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Is Henderson an NBA prospect?

10. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I thought this was Thompson's best game as a Vol. He made several plays and took care of the ball for the most part. Up to this point, he's so often seemed like he was going through the motions offensively in half-court sets. Thought he had a different level of energy and actually initiated things last night.

11. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Lol. In no scenario does Henderson end up in the NBA while a guy like Lofton plays his career in Turkey.

12. hallowed_hill

Top 5 in the SEC the last two years in 3pfg%. With the attention he commands from defenses and the number of contested shots he takes, that is excellent. No one is saying he's a wooden award guy. But he's a very good college player.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

except Henderson has about 5 inches on Lofton and is pretty athletic too. I'm not saying he's going to make it, I'm just saying

14. JohnnyQuickkick

He really opens the floor up. It's not his fault most of the rest of his team is garbage.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Every time I've watched UT play, I see Stokes doing the same move. And "move" is being generous as it's basically just him dribbling to his right as fast as he can to try to get to the hoop and lay it in. Any defender with length and decent athleticism swats it to the third row.

Methinks Stokes could refine his post game.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I think he's got other moves, he just doesn't finish well enough. Sometimes because he gets packed, sometimes it's like he doesn't even look at the basket. Every once in a blue moon he gets a jump hook to go down. But the fact remains, back to the basket isn't his thing

17. TennTradition

His rebounding consistency is worth a lot to this team right now. And he has a few moves around the basket but his offensive game is far from refined.

18. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Except not - Henderson is listed at 6'2. Lofton was listed at 6'2 while here. And he is most certainly not more athletic than Lofton. There's a reason they try to hide him on defense since he's the weak link there whenever he's on the court. Lofton played way better defense considering his lack of quickness. He had good hands and anticipation. Lofton was also a better shooter, had way better shot selection and actually was able to get to the basket some his final two years. 0.00% chance Henderson makes it to the NBA.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  19. hallowed_hill

You're forgetting about the dribble to his right as fast as he can flying sky hook. He hasn't utilized it as much lately, though.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

It's really hard to have a discussion with someone who has zero idea of the subject