The Section YY6 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 1, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We are going to lose to Bama. We match up well with Georgia and USC so I like our chances.

The history of the Tennessee-LSU series is rife with intrigue and surprises. I would say that four of our six or seven most interesting games in this decade were against LSU. It's that history that gives me a little hope. And for you history buffs, guess what happened the last time Tennessee played a no. 1 LSU?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

What year was that?

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All in all a workman line effort win. Lost focus for a little while after the half but still did what they were supposed to do.

Don't see what young did wrong, unless it was after the 8 minute mark in the 4th qtr.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was actually pretty happy with what Young brought, but the fumble obviously sucked. Bobbles are going to happen. Lane muffed one out of bounds against Montana in his first game returning. It comes with the youth. I can handle that *some* if he can bring electricity to the return game. If not, you want to go with a safer option unless you need a big return.

I'm catching hell on VolNation tonight for saying that "Young is what he is, a fragile guy with fumbling problems, but with great wheels and good vision." The "fumbling problems" portion seems to be the issue. I've been told that he put the ball on the ground and dropped a fair percentage of his passes last year, especially from mid-season on. But, i didn't see the games, so that might not be accurate...pretty sure it is, though. I thought the fragile portion would be the more controversial of those statements.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

My father wasn't even born in 1959. I have no idea about that game.

7. CardinalVol

When was the fumble and how did I miss this? I know he dropped one when they threw it to him in the slot, but I totally missed the fumble.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It may yet be correctable. He's a true freshman, after all.

9. TennTradition

My Mom and Dad were starting kindergarten in 59, lulz and shiz.

10. TennTradition

I don't remember...but I think it was the kickoff after they scored their 7. We ended up holding them to a missed field goal.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought they got the field goal.

12. TennTradition

Absolutely. I'm just saying you have to take the good with the bad. He's already had a collar bone injury (possibly could have happened to anyone) and fumbled the ball + bobbled a catch on a return. But, his first return was almost housed and he looked pretty good on at least one more. He is what he is at this point. You have to understand their is risk and reward for putting him out there.

The fumble problems, if they exist, may very well be able to be worked through. As for the bobbled catch on the return, first time back there - going to happen. He also had a very nice fair catch (as in not muffed) with two guys standing right over him. At his height, that was a positive - I can almost guarantee some of our return guys over the past few years would have muffed that one.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, we have to take the risk I think. We have a shortage of playmakers right now, and he has the potential to be one.

14. CardinalVol

Ok, that one.

Eh, that ball bounced at the upbacks, hit one of them and was a greased pig bouncing around. I didn't even realize young touched it. I know that no one ever controlled it and three guys tried to fall on it.

It was essentially a horrible kick that ended up working out for buffalo.

15. TennTradition

They got one in the fourth quarter, but I was talking about the 1st quarter. But, I was also wrong. Devrin's fumble came in the 4th quarter when we were already up 41-10. They didn't get a first down out of it and we got the ball back.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I just think if fumble problems were an issue in HS, the Young bashers would have have brought it up at any chance. I never saw it mentioned.

17. TennTradition

No - I was wrong. I got them mixed up. I just realized it and posted it before I read this reply. Young was not in on that play. I think the upback that it hit in the first quarter was actually Cameron Clear...not sure.

First quarter turnover was the muffed kick. Turnover in the 4th was fumble by Devrin on a kick return.

18. CardinalVol

I don't recall ever seeing one. Only thing I saw with him in high school was being a one man show for bearden.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember watching all of Young's videos and following his stats at times, I don't recall fumbling being any more prevalent than you'd expect with a guy with so many touches.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And he had a LOT of touches. He was his team's offense.