The Sky is Blue

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 15, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If Florida goes into Columbia and wins tomorrow, do the Tigers officially hang it up for the season?

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Georgia then UF back to back doesnt bode well for them. Is Bryant healthy? Does he mail it in for NFL aspirations? They can't go bowling. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they do.

3. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

They can still go bowling. Unless I’m dumb, they have five wins and three games left on the schedule.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As of now, they're banned from a bowl this year

5. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

See. I had the caveat about being dumb.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Mizzous last 4 headed into UT

Vandy - 21 - 14 L
    UK - 29 - 7 L
    UGA - (without Bryant) 27 - 0 L
    UF - ( with Bryant) probably another L

UT has won 4 out of 5. And coming off a much needed bye.

Been awhile since a game just fell like it set up well for UT. Almost too well.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A caveat that I always try to include in many of my posts, as well.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Solid thread title. I wasn't immediately filled with anxiety and dread, though I had doubts about the color of the sky since this is a Card thread.

NYY likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They have appealed and the NCAA hasn't offered their final ruling yet

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Bryant was blowing up running and passing early in the year. Lit up SC

11. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Which is why we will probably get our shit pushed in.

utvol0427 likes this.
  12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think the ideal is either Florida beats them so badly that they’re just done for the season or they beat Florida so that we don’t get too overconfident on the back of wins against some SEC bottom-feeders going into a place where we’ve never played well. Also, in the latter case, because I like seeing Florida lose. Competitive Florida win does nothing for me.

13. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

If recent events are any indication, they will play anyway.

14. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I'd like to see what our record (% wise) is in games over the last 20 seasons coming off a bye. I'm thinkin it's a pretty bad win %.

15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Why does the last 20 seasons matter? Was this staff coaching? Were these players playing? I like this staff's ability to game plan with extra time and our team should be fresh physically.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Looking at W/L with such a small sample size with significantly varied quality of competition is a bit weird, but I went back at least to 2013.

2019: brought a 1-3 team against a top 5 Georgia. Led at halftime but ultimately lost in a blowout.

2018: went into Auburn as a double-digit underdog, won 30-24

2017: Vols ultimately went 0-8 in SEC play. This was one of them, 15-9 to South Carolina.

2016: the beginning of the end for Butch, with the Vols on track for a division title, they suffered a 24-21 upset loss to South Carolina

2015: A three-loss Tennessee team went on the road to Tuscaloosa to face #1 Alabama. The Tide won 19-14

2014: A mediocre Tennessee team went to Athens to face a top fifteen Georgia team. Starter Justin Worley was knocked out, and Nathan Peterman fumbled a way a chance to close the gap in what was ultimately a 35-32 loss. In the second bye of the year, the Vols torched Kentucky at home 50-16.

2013: After being totally uncompetitive against Florida and Oregon, Tennessee faced a South Carolina team that would finish the year in the top five. The Vols jumped out to a 17-7 lead and used a fabulous catch by Marquez North to overcome the late Gamecocks surge and squeak out a 23-21 upset. In the second bye of the year, Tennessee faced James Franklin and Vanderbilt with likely bowl eligibility on the line. The offense couldn’t do a thing all game, and the Vols lost 14-10

Overall, that’s five games against vastly superior teams, in which Tennessee went 2-3, but only this year’s Georgia loss came by more than five points.

There’s two home games that were expected to be very close, and both of them were ugly, slugfest losses, by an average score of 15-10.

And there’s two games in which we were heavy favorites, one blowout win and one upset loss.

Overall, that’s 3-6, 1-1 under Pruitt and 2-5 under Butch. Not sure it’s a big enough sample to see much except that the bye week seems to help a hell of a lot more when we’re underdogs.

17. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Seems to me according to my memory over the years we don’t seem to play well after a bye, as if we cool down and lose our edge. As to the sample size of 20 seasons being too small, I’m not a stat head just seemed like a reasonable window, opinions vary I guess.

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I wouldn't bundle Pruitt in with the coaches of "recent memory".

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, butch and Dooley are not here for a reason. Pruitt beat ranked Auburn off a bye.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex