The St. Louis Cardinals

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tidwell, Oct 30, 2011.

1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Interesting for sure. Wonder what Oquendo thinks about it?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He said if he didn't get it he'd still like to come back. We'll see. This is about the third time he's been passed up. Maybe there is a reason.

Full disclosure - I was a defensive catcher who struggled at the plate growing up, so I love Matheney and have a soft spot for him in my heart.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Catchers make great managers. With that said, this is a very weird hire to me. May work out great, just a good deal of questions surrounding it though.

4. CardinalVol

He's been involved with the organization. Players love him. He'll have the clubhouse from day one. That's a plus.

Common thought is they will keep most of the coaching staff in place to ease transition.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't mind it, it just kind of came out of nowhere for me.

6. CardinalVol

According to the stl media, this is just one piece of a big puzzle. Not sure what that means.....

7. CardinalVol

I'm going to go out on a small limb and say there is big Pujols news announced by the time we're eating turkey on Thursday.

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Yeah, I can't really defend giving him anything more than a 6 year deal if that... but someone will.

9. CardinalVol

The initial offer included ownership atthe end of it. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a revised version of this plus a long term payment at the end of the contract. Play 8 years, $20M per, $1.5 every year after that for life or something similar.

Also with this, I will say the DH will be in the NL by the end of this and he will move to that role.

10. CardinalVol

I agree 100%, but that's where we are headed and perpetual interleague play makes it one step closer.

People can say what they want about TLR, but it was always entertaining to watch his insane number of pitching changes and subs at the end of a game. DH will keep the big bats around longer, but will somewhat kill the utility man position.

11. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

12. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Eh. Don't mind Pujols getting his wherever he can, and don't mind the Cardinals not sinking that much into an aging guy.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The logic of it says that whoever won the Pujols derby is likely to end up screwed, but man, it hurts the heart right now. The Cardinals have a winning organization and they'll be fine, but it's going to be completely bizarre seeing them without Pujols and Pujols in another jersey.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It sucks to lose him but there's no sense in sinking that much money into a ball player that age.

15. =rpvol=

=rpvol= Member

aging or not, i would have really liked to see him resign. i am happy he got what he got at least, because he's a class act and deserves all he can get. still, it just won't be the same seeing him in another uniform.

16. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

It's crazy to think about the sheer number of Pujols jerseys/shirts you see on a nightly basis at games. Guess it's time to break out the baby blue Ozzie jerseys.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Bingo. He's great. He's not 10 year deal great. No one is in the game of baseball. Ever.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Was just about to type that very thing. That's the biggest risk with Latino players. You can't verify their ages. Plus, Albert is getting close to that stage in his career where the 162 game season begins to take a serious toll.

19. CardinalVol

Oh well.

I'm on to deciding if Waino or Freese is my new favorite MLB player. I would have loved to have him back, but not at that. Cards have a pretty good young nucleus and some great young arms. I'm just not going to freak out. Very capable of winning the Central next year.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I honestly think 3 years is the high end.