The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that they shouldn't happen, but ya apparently we were past the point of avoiding it without even bigger problems coming

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I 100% agree. the perception drove the reality.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well his banking regulations absolutely slowed the economy. outside of that he wasn't nearly as anti business as his rhetoric. of course that also helped him get elected.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my personal theory is that housing collapses are inevitable and banks always go under during said collapses. bubble are also inevitable. therefore let the banks go crazy which will drive stronger growth in the good times and yes we will have the occasional bail out, but long term our growth will be better and everyone will benefit. this is essentially what hong kong did.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Noted.

6. CardinalVol

I still stand by my theory that the entire world economy is one big ponzi scheme.

Tenacious D and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Of course it is. The minute people try to pull their money out of it is when it goes to shit.

8. CardinalVol

I tend to think I'm a reasonably smart guy and while I don't understand all of it, I have a decent enough grasp on investing and such.

That said, some of the crap that was floating around in 08 makes my head spin. I cannot wrap my brain around how complicated they were, and I bet 80% of the people buying and selling them didn't have a clue what they were either.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

regulators absolutely didn't understand and it probably still don't. neither did the rating agencies. those guys just can't spend enough to attract the top talent.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i just tell people if this happens the only thing worth anything will be guns, so either load up or don't spend your time worrying about it.

11. CardinalVol

Some of the CDOs just simply blow my mind.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That’s why the guys who actually went and looked at the underlying mortgages made a killing in 08

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. Only you’ve interpreted that as being both legitimately and genuinely offered. This holds less water than your recent “fears” that he was somehow causing irreparable harm to the Danes.

2. You’re mistaken if you think his aim is to “calm it down”, or at least any more than Reagan approached the Soviets in the arms race. Never forego an opportunity to leverage an advantage, and most preferably, to ratchet it wherever possible.

3. His plan is so obvious as to be self-evident, at least to most. China needs the US way, way, way more than the US needs China. And when you’ve got billions of dollars in a trade surplus, as China does, a trade war is much more painful than if you’re carrying a deficit as the US has done for years.

He has both that high and best ground. As did his predecessors, the only difference is that he’s acting like it. They obviously don’t like this reality, and he doesn’t have to give a shit - because, again, they need us way more than we need them.

14. Tenacious D

There’s a current professor on staff at TN’s Haslam School of Biz who serves on his economic council. She loathes his social policies and personality, but believes he’s in full and total command of economic matters.

droski likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Racist.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Drone attacks in Saudi just took out half of their oil production.

Feeling good about closing my short on Thursday night.

Saudis they’ll be able to restart fairly quickly - just don’t know what fairly means in this instance.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Drone attacks from whom?

18. TennTradition

Houthi rebels

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Welcome to the 21st century. We could buy a drone and make a lethal threat out of it without leaving a Walgreen's.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. TennTradition

Market gapped up $10/bbl when Asian trading opened. Sold back down to about 7 shortly after.

I expected about 5 in the front (vs 7) and about 2-3 in the back (which is what happened - 2.50 or so).

Now we wait and see what kind of duration we’re looking at.

If the US does have to tap into SPR, I’m interested to see if (in today’s export/import environment) the SPR functions well or not. US may not even have to do it. We’ll see