The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Thanks. So neither most, nor people. Just a very small subset reduced as far as you can compartmentalize them in order to salvage some meaning of your original argument.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’m sorry I know more about this than you do, not sure why you are such a baby about it. I wouldn’t dare think I know more than you do about programming, but I’m not an expert at everything like you.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Your argument was dumb in the first place. That’s on you. You got caught talking out of your ass and threw a tantrum.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Apparently so, and they seem grumpy too. Thought they might be since they were still back and forthing it while I was in the shower this morning.

5. fl0at_

I do not believe I know more about this than you. I doubt you could have a conversation on programming on any level, much less the one you think I'm on in finance. But I'm game, let's go. I promise you, if you say something like "variable" I won't say "in what world does variable mean not constant," or whatever idiocy you threw out for not recognizing the term pattern day trader.

6. fl0at_

Are you familiar with Aurelius Capital and Windstream?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert on either

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you took a little thing and ran with it. That’s what you do.

9. fl0at_

So explain how that situation isn't exactly the little guy getting screwed, while the big guy doesn't. Common stock was made garbage in bankruptcy. Preferred stock I think got a little. Other debt holders got a lot. Aurelius made off like a bandit. And then, after restructuring, bought common stock in the restructured company?

How is this not a textbook case of exactly what I'm talking about?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The important thing is, shorting retail chains that are familiar to the masses is now riskier than it used to be, thanks to day trading apps. Or at least, that is what I find to be a take-home message.

11. fl0at_

You made 4 replies to it you twit. How is that me taking a little thing and running with it? I even tried to give you the benefit of the doubt in one of them, and you doubled down on your lack of understanding. I tried to help. Jesus.

12. fl0at_

Retail chains are always risky, I think. But that's just me.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

When potential losses are open-ended, I just don't want to mess around. I'd rather buy stock in something I think will do well or that I like, than bet against things where my risked loss is indeterminant.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don’t think windstream had preferred shares and tons of institutions owned the common. In bankruptcy the bond holders have first claim. That’s the law. I don’t think it’s fair how they went about it, but one firm making a lot of money doesn’t mean every institutional had the same outcome.

15. fl0at_

I would think it would be best to not worry about what you bought, so much as buy a lot of different things. If you owned one stock in everything, you'd grow your investment as good as anyone.

IP likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don’t think it’s just retail. It shows these messageboards can move markets which is definitely new

IP likes this.
  17. fl0at_

Institutions by and large faired much, much better. It doesn't matter if some institutions got screwed too. Institutions proportionally did better than the average investor.

Now, it was Windstream's fault, not AC's. But the regulations in place allowed Windstream to break off all its money making assets into another company, and then AC's lawsuit made all the stock in Windstream worthless.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’ll pass on that type of help next time. Thanks

19. fl0at_

Don't worry, I won't be giving you the benefit of the doubt any longer.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what’s your evidence they faired much much better? Institutional ownership of companies common is generally much higher than retail.

the common was [uck fay]ed either way. They weren’t surviving with that debt level.