The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

His investment advice is pretty spot on for the average Joe that calls his show. Now, if we're talking a high income and such then I agree, it's time to get more sophisticated, but 90%+ of America doesn't need to be a sophisticated investor.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

but they could buy it from vanguard and save the fees for the average person

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I googled him and saw this "debt is dumb and why wealthy people don't use it." Just pure BS. Show me a wealthy real estate investor that doesn't leverage the properties. I also have many clients who stupidly pay down their mortgage 4% mortgage despite them needing income.

basically if you have under say $500k in liquid investments a financial advisor has to rip you off to make it worth his/her time to give you advice. I have wealthy clients who pay all in to me less than many index funds.

4. CardinalVol

Confused as to what this has to do with anything? Self-directed IRA?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I assume he means compared to hiring an investment advisor

6. CardinalVol

Gotcha.

What fee% does your company charge, out of curiosity?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

depends on the asset size and whether we are doing financial planning, estate planning, business succession, retirement planning, etc or just want pure investment advice. anything under a $1 million is generally 1% for the full boat. I have bigger clients paying as low as .25%. also can depend somewhat on whether i'm running the account personally or farming it out to managers.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Becoming disillusioned with Graham. Spends all this time talking about what you should do, without giving any guideance on how to do it.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

financial brokers take a fee, and Vanguard has lower fees and their low-index mutual funds perform higher than 90 percent of all brokers. So for the average person, it's the best option.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I very much doubt anyone has read his book and gone and made money because of it. graham (and buffett in particular) had pseudo inside information when they bought the companies they bought. he more explains a philosophy rather than actionable ideas.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they also (as far as i'm aware) don't have people trying to sell you their high cost wrap programs like fidelity and schwabb. if you are doing the latter you might as well pay for someone with actual financial experience compared to the retards schabb and to a far lesser extent fidelity hires.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Old school undervalued cash flow and balance sheet ignorance on public stocks is finished.

Fundamental analysis hasn't changed remarkably and they don't have a magic formula. He's not going to tell anyone what to do. He's going to list a range of metrics that should tell you to invest. Unfortunately, you aren't going to find those as readily as he did nor have access like Buffett has had.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup before the bull market of the 80s you could literally find stocks trading below cash per share. No chance of finding that today.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this doesn't look good.

15. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

In my portfolio right now, that may be an understatement.

16. fl0at_

What doesn't?

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

market is tanking the past couple of days. we are long long overdue for a 10%+ correction.

18. fl0at_

Hurray, good stocks are getting cheaper.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one way to look at it. though it's a lot easier to get people to buy stocks in an up market.

20. fl0at_

Yea, I can see that side of the problem.