The Travel Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Mar 2, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

A thread to ask for suggestions when you are traveling, and to appreciate the title's alliteration.

For instance, I'll be in Baltimore next week then Boston next month. Anyone have suggestions on things to do/places to eat?

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm looking at you, volfanjo

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm going to Italy again next month get some of that

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Tell the Pope hey from Gomer.

7. hallowed_hill

Spent a couple nights in Baltimore in the fall. Went to O's game. Walked around and consumed plenty of drinks in inner harbor/fells point area. Had a hot beef at vfj's suggestion. Highly recommend.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hot beef?

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Ny in a heated blanket

10. hallowed_hill

No wait. Pit beef. That's it. Was glorious.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yeah pit beef is a Baltimore staple. I suppose it is their version of BBQ but that really doesn't do it justice. Several places to get it. Just ask a local their favorite.

Also check out R and R Taqueria which is considered by some the best Mexican restaurant in the country. Not in Baltimore proper.

Haven't been to Boston in 6 or 7 years but I think the Thai food there is some of the best in the country. Also, Lebanese food ftw.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Best Mexican in the country in Baltimore? Color me skeptical.

I'm going to lovely Orlando for a conference. Anyone with any restaurant suggestions?

13. hallowed_hill

Boston is great.

Freedom Trail is a must, especially if you like history. So much packed into a small area.

I've done the Sam Adams brewery tour a couple times. Very fun and free. It'dba small brewery, the one they show all the time in commercials. Would also recommend the irish pub down the street that they send you to. Get to keep the SA pint glass when you order a beer there.

Little Italy is a must visit. I think TTradition turned me on to Regina Pizzeria there. Phenomenal pizza.

The areas around Faneuil Hall and Fenway have hundreds of bars. Can't go wrong either spot. I always stay right by Faneuil so I spent a lot of time there.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

if i run into him

15. JohnnyQuickkick

i'm going to try to get up to boston some time this summer maybe for a weekend if i can

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Go to hell

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

JQK goes to Italy and you get Orlando. Sounds fair.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And I'm not even going to disneyworld

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Boston:

French-Cambodian: Elephant Walk
    Thai: Chili Duck
    Italian: Al Dente (super small)
    Pizza: Pizzeria Regina
    Oysters: Neptune Oyster or Union Oyster House if you're really into history...Neptune is better
    French/Bistro: Gaslight, Hammersley's Bistro (pricier than gaslight but gaslight is also really good...really good)
    Burgers: Mr. Bartley's is fun with a pretty big menu ... Not game-changing burgers though
    Brunch: Beehive, Friendly Toast
    Mexican: Ole (the Ole margarita is very very good)
    Drinks: Boston Beer Works or Bleecher Bar if you like Fenway, East Coast Grill, Sunset Grill and Tap if you like the 1000 beer thing

These are general recommendations. Ask me if you have any specific questions or preferences.

Also I didn't go into tourist things like the Freedom trail but I can if you're interested.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Headed to Steamboat this next Sunday for five days.