The Trump Effect

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 11, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would assume the taxes are made up in the jobs kept in the town, those people's salaries get taxed as well as them buying goods and services. So the money is getting taxed one way or the other.

And businesses are going to operated where it is cheapest for them to operate.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Letting them keep their money isn't welfare.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No, it's not. They're getting to keep their money.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Except that a product is made for consumption.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Taking less of the corporations money isn't exactly corporate welfare. Grants to build new plants could be. Like the now defunct solar plant my company built after the government threw in momeybto help.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, logically the workers should also keep their money. No one should pay taxes.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

And what has happened to the solar industry since policies supporting its development? That's a pretty important detail and a broader scope than one plant.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well we are pretty much halfway there.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We have a social contract with the government that we and our corporations will pay a certain amount, based on certain conditions.

If we get back more than we've agreed to put in, that's wellfare.
    If we put in more than we should, and its returned, that's a refund.
    If we do something to reduce the amount we owe, that's a deduction.

This is clearly a deduction.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When we get rid of double taxes on corporate profit I'll care more about this "break".

Same deductions will also probably apply to smaller businesses as well. Not fully sure o what breaks they are getting.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If those 800 lost their jobs and filed for unemployment, taxes would have paid for those people to stay home. Either way, the taxpayer was funding millions for the fallout of the Carrier deal, no?

Better in the long run to save the jobs.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm happy they have their jobs. I doubt they will for long, but I bet the tax break is going to last longer than they will. Automation is real, but it is ignored by these headlines looking at what is taking away 85% of jobs.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

It was me: Sworn Trump enemy John McCain admits HE handed smear dossier to FBI

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4108960/How-Trump-s-nemesis-John-McCain-kicked-Kremlin-memo-scandal-handing-dossier-FBI-sending-emissary-abroad-collect-it.html

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Cory Booker seizes big moment with historic move against another senator

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

How can you equate putting people to work, being productive, paying their share of taxes, and feeling good about themselves with drawing welfare, and maintain a serious face?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Subsidizing profitable companies to cut salary costs is ultimately just diverting wealth to the corporation. Doing so on a company by company basis is picking winners.

Giving people jobs is great. Requiring bribes to do so is not.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You fired him because of Trump?

New low.

18. Tenacious D

They will for the next 8 years, minimum.

A better question is what has every other POTUS been doing to return these jobs to the US, when it seems such an obviously easy thing that could have been done, especially when Trump's not even in office yet, and has no real power.

Here's what I think is the difference between Trump & Presidents Obama, Bush, Clinton: Trump isn't beholden to these companies, first, and gives enough of a shit to do something about it.

What other explanation exists, or is even possible? Legit question.

19. Tenacious D

20. Tenacious D

1. This is nothing more than grandstanding for purely personal aggrandizement & political gain.
    2. Best of luck to him in the effort, as I fully support his right to testify as he believes necessary and is truthful.