The United States Open Golf Championship

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Jun 11, 2012.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Greatest tournament in the world (with apologies to the Masters. But we need not quibble this week. Ask me Masters week and i have trouble not ranking it #1). I love the US Open. Let's hope the USGA comes back with a sadistic vengeance this week at Olympic Club after last year's debacle. I want to see the best players in the world hurting--the more brutal the better. I want nasty rough, impossible greens, and single-file fairways. Game on. What do y'all think?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Masters
    2. Open Championship
    3. US Open

I'm looking forward to the Watson/Mickelson/Woods pairing. Also enjoy it's on the West Coast so I can watch it at home at night.

3. hallowed_hill

Probably while burning american flags.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's probably correct as far as historically. But damn I hate watching that Open across the pond.

5. CardinalVol

I love it. Mainly because most of the time the conditions make all of them look like me out there on an average Sunday afternoon.

6. hallowed_hill

I dont care if cardinal loves drinking hot tea, wearing argyle sweaters, and dreaming of jolly ol' england. This is the United States Freaking Open!

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I would think, historically, the British Open would be easily #1, right? I mean, they invented the sport over there, it's the oldest tournament and they don't even need the "British" part of the title.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Americans are te only people that call it the British Open.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The (British) Open is preferred by this red-blooded American, also.

10. Unimane

If I had to rank the importance of the tournaments, I would have to go:

1. The Open
    2. The U.S. Open
    3. Master's
    4. PGA Championship

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

now that the US Open has added golf back to the game, instead a pure straight driving and putting competition it has moved way back up the charts. The Open that Payne Stewart won over Mickelson was just awesome.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

don't like the order, but the avatar is fabulous

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I too prefer "The Open". It's my second favorite tournament in all of sports behind March Madness.

I would go:
    1. The Open
    2. Master's
    3. US Open
    4. PGA Championship

14. Unimane

Thank you. I'm glad someone appreciates the Coming to America. I threw in a reference to My-T-Sharp in another thread and no one got it. I only wish my avatar could do the full gif and have the "[uck fay] you.." lines, although it might be better to not have it in there.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Best golf I ever saw. His putting that day was unbelievable. Hated seeing the way Payne died so young.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

[uck fay] you, [uck fay] you and [uck fay] you.

Who next?

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The venue usually dictates how I rank the 4 majors. The Masters is always #1 for me though.

18. hallowed_hill

I know we like our anonymity around here but if you are ever walking up a ramp before a game at neyland and you hear a fool carrying on, "Cuz I love the vawls. And if lovin the vawls is wrong, I dont wanna be right," it is me. Flat out, it's me. My pre-game routine. Love the movie.

19. hallowed_hill

The conditions are undoubtedly tougher year in and year out at the US Open. For kicks and giggles, I just looked up the number of even par or worse winning aggregate scores for the four majors over the last 50 years:

US Open: 13
    British (Yes, the British. Get off me): 6
    PGA: 4 (and none since '76)
    Masters: 2

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the major across the pond. It is so unique, so historic. But the brutality of us open course setups is a big reason why it and the masters are at the top for me.

20. CardinalVol

Blah, blah, blah, blah.